+ Reply to Thread

Default acrylic claw foot tub

I bought a beautiful acrylic claw foot tub and I am having my bathroom floor done with 12x12 ceramic tiles. I am concerned that the (dry) light weight of the tub will cause it to move if jarred and damage the plumbing. The tub has a shower enclosure and quality chrome plumbing risers and my stub outs are secured well. Any suggestions? I didn't want the full weight of a cast iron tub as this bathroom is on the second floor of a 1920 home. Thank you.

Joe
    Last edited by joeybagofdonuts; 02-24-2012 at 05:03 PM.

Default Re: acrylic claw foot tub

We just installed a similar tub. My recommendation was to add rubber circles under the feet , which in this case rested on what seemed to be brushed nickle drink coasters.

Thank you for the reply. I have thought about that but I was wondering if there was a more secure way. I heard of a bead of silicon under the claw feet. Maybe put them on the coasters with silicon under both the coaster and the peg of the claw foot?

Just a word of caution: make sure your floor can handle the weight (load) you are planning to put on it. Also, I prefer porcelain tiles for the floor.

Are there any brackets on the tub to attach it to the wall?

Hi Dj. No unfortunately there is no brackets. You would think so given the amount of money I spent on it. My floor is strong enough. I sistered up all floors joists and glue and screwed 3/4 plywood for sub-floor. Still, I didn't want the weight of cast iron or I probably wouldn't have to worry about the tub moving. I am going with porcelain. I agree they are stronger. Thank you!

Here's something you can do when there is no way to attach the tub to the wall.

Install a horizontal 2x4 to support the tub lip and level it. make sure that the tub will rest on it, not too low, not too high. Lay a nice bead of liquid nail on the 2x4 and set the tub on top of it. In addition, install the coasters below the legs.