+ Reply to Thread

Default Crawl Space Rehabilitation

I have a damp, unused crawl space and the heat is escaping from the basement through to the first floor den. I want to dig out the crawl space and use for storage or a kids hideaway/play space. How can I insulate, dig out and waterproof/vapor proof the area safely and economically?

Default Re: Crawl Space Rehabilitation

Hire a good contractor!
    So you want to dig down lowering the crawlspace an then store stuff an kids in it- would be swell if it were not already damp. Some places are better left not to store or play in...

Reducing the dampness, is there plastic on the soil? If there is is the plastic sealed to the foundation walls? If not get 6 to 10 mill and seal it to the walls this stops more moisture from coming up into your home. Consider insulating the floor joist bays an build the kids a play storage house with the kids in your back yard.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

I really don't understand why you would want your children playing in a crawl space full of spiders, black widows and other insects/pests.

When my elder son was about 12 he was beaten by a spider. It was not an easy and pleasant experience.

But if your mind is set on digging, don't outdig your footings.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    When my elder son was about 12 he was beaten by a spider. It was not an easy and pleasant experience.
    My goodness! It sounds like an AWFULLY big spider!! I'd be wary, too!!

Last edited by California_Cookie; 12-06-2013 at 05:55 PM.