+ Reply to Thread

Question Exterior Door Jam Refinishing

Dear Old House,

I have a problem area at my front door. My house is 103 years old. There are hand carved panels between the front door and the screen/storm door. The many layers of paint need to be removed and I would like to refinish the wood. There is also a marble step there that needs polishing and is badly sc****d up from a metal door hitting it for years.

Thanks,

Barb Schang

Default Re: Exterior Door Jam Refinishing

So I guess you're asking what to do? right?

Roll up your sleeves and get to work. Sand and scr-ape again and again. Don't damage the wood. Till you get to the results you were expecting.

The marble step could be cleaned and polished, but the door scratches will stay.

Default Re: Exterior Door Jam Refinishing

Remove the door and screw in a sheet of plywood, this will take some time. Orange paste strippers are the safest to use. Lay door on saw horses, apply and wait for it to start bubbling. Use DULL scrapper to remove paint genitally. For tough to reach spots use a soft nylon brush. Repeat as necessary. Lightly sand with sanding block on flat surfaces, sanding sponge in smaller areas, and sand paper for curves and corners. If the door is 100 years old, bet paint is lead based. Wash hands before eating and change clothes right after done. You can rent a polisher at the rental centers and or box stores for your marble.