+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: GFCI outlet has 2 white and 2 black wires

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    Really? No ground wire needed? There have been times when the ground was off the GFI would not re set.
    Houston check out a schematic of a GFCI some time, the ground is not even connected to the circuit it is only connected to the receptacle where the ground pin goes in and has no function in the protection circuit at all.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: GFCI outlet has 2 white and 2 black wires

Quote Originally Posted by vikasintl View Post
    I wanted to add ductfree range hood on a circuit which has GFCI outlet in first position..wanted to check wires so I opened GFCi outlet and found 2 black and 2 white wires...

can some one explain what is the meaning of having 2 white and 2 black wires...total 4? I dont think any of them is ground...

also can I add 2 amp rated under cabinet duct free range hood on this circuit where only other items in circuits is 1.kitchen lights 2. utility room lights
    I thought gfci outlet is for the circuits which don't have ground wire....and you are saying its useless without ground..

Also circuit which has GFCI outlet with 2 wires (black+white) for in and two wires (black+white)
    for out..and have following lights on this circuit..

1. three 75 watt light bulbs in one lighting fixture in kitchen.
    2. two 75 watt light bulbs in dining area in one fixture.
    3. one 75 watt light bulb at main entrance of house (entry door)
    4. two 75 watt light bulbs in utility room

Will it be against the code if we add 2 amp rated range hood in this circuit ?
    Here are the circuits in question.

Circuit 1 - small appliance circuit which has 20 amp circuit breaker and no. 1 out let is GFCI outlet because this circuit does not have ground wire ....

Items connected to this circuit..
    1. Refrigerator
    2. plug in microwave oven (not otr type)
    3. can opener
    4. juicer/mixer

I find this surprizing the small aplliance receptacle isn't the one with the GFCI protection --- which it should be.
    This circuit having both the refridgerator and microwave wouldn't be a good choice to add anything more load onto it.

Circuit 2 - This circuit has 15 amp breaker and items connected
    (I guess we can call it a lighting circuit, not sure though??)

1. 13w cfl light bulb at door entry
    2. 2 prong outlet which is converted to 6 prong and its supplying to TV and cordless phone charger and dvd player connected at present..

Above two are connected to two prong switch outlet in living room.

3. three 13 watt cfl light bulbs in one lighting fixture in kitchen- one switch
    4. two 13 watt cfl light bulbs in dining area in one lighting fixture- one switch
    5. one 13 watt cfl light bulbs in utility room in one lighting fixture...one switches
    6. two 13 watt cfl bulbs in the same circuit..- one switch

This is the one with the GFCI ?? Would it be located at #2 in your list ?

now..these are the circuits...what is the easiest way to put range hood (its not a plug in type) ...I would prefer lighting circuit (circuit 2 ) because its closer to hood.

Please note that range hood in question is duct free broan 41000 k range hood ..its not a plug in type...

I am not an electrician so ..when suggestion is to run a new circuit..its not comfortable...as I don't know how..mainly through existing walls..
    Personally , I don't recommend a novice to add anything to an existing circuit mainly due to you need to know if the addition won't overload the circuit.
    In this case based on what you claim is on this circuit , technically you could add the fan's load to the circuit.
    However, it's very likely the range hood requires a grounded circuit to meet it's safety rating and rightfully so.
    I would recommend a new grounded circuit be run .

Btw --- just to third --- a GFCI doesn't need a grounding wire for it to operate.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush