+ Reply to Thread

Default Insulating my cellar walls

in my basement the walls are framed and electric is all in when we purchased it. I am looking to finish it up. What type of insulation should I use on framed walls on concrete wall sides? The concrete is sealed with a paint I assume moisture lock--done before I purchased. I am trying to avoid using styrafoam since framing is already done and I want to do this my self save labor. Some things I read said bate insultion a bad idea because of mold? If sealed witrh moisture lock do I have to worry about that. If it wastn't framed I would have used styrafoam first then frame but what is my best bet? Thanks for your help

Default Re: Insulating my cellar walls

Howdy, is the framing tight against the foundation walls? is there a foam strip between the wood and the concrete floor? Any evidence of moisture? Mold is always a concern in basements. Insulation that does not readily grow it is a good start. No paper backed fiberglass! Fungus/ mold eats wood paper is wood. If you are going to use the room allot then once you have ruled out moisture entry consider having an 1" or 2 of closed cell insulation spray applied to the wall cavity it is $$ but very effective. Have you done a moisture test on the floor? Consider taping a 2 foot square of plastic to the slab and come back in 24 to 36 hours and see if moisture on the cement/ plastic if not then you have good options if moisture then maybe no finish the cellar.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

Default Re: Insulating my cellar walls

Styrofoam panels are as easy as insulation gets so I don't understand your reluctance to go that way, but any time moisture might be an issue you need a closed cell foam of some kind for insulation. Anything that can absorb or hold moisture will find a way to do that in this scenario. You can place the panels between the studs or furring then fill gaps with minimal-expanding foam. You'll still have heat conductivity through the wood though.

Never expect a basement to be dry unless it was thoroughly waterproofed from the outside when the house was built. Always allow for a way to handle unwanted water ingression large and small because it is likely going to happen sooner or later in every basement.

Phil