+ Reply to Thread

Default Front yard tree remove or renew?

I have two skinny 8 or 9 ft tree on front yard. Two trees are each side of entrance path and between trees and the house, there are some dead bushes to remove and replant.
    Both of trees are diseased but both of them still have blossom flowers. I want to remove those trees because not only diseased but one of them are hit by thunder and half ripped off.
    Problem is our house is the end of T street with stop sign. We have big picture windows behind tree and you can see inside house very well unless closing by window treatment(There are kitchen, dining/living). Our house is tiny ranch and nothing fancy to stair at. So my husband wants to keep the trees to hide. Do you think should I remove tree and plant other trees? (No option to keep diseased trees.) I don't like hiding house by tree but closed window treatment forever makes me sad being house. What do you think?

Default Re: Front yard tree remove or renew?

If both tree are diseased why not remove them and start fresh. A 9' tree can easily be replaced. A new tree even if it is say 6' at planting, it should fill out & be at 9' in a few years and be healthy.

Research the proper kind of tree you need. Ultimate height, spread, disease resistance, habit, etc. Don't just buy what you can find at a big box store or buy something that is labelled as fast growing. They usually prove to be undesirable or short lived.

Take a picture of the area to a real nursery and talk to them what would suit you best and buy it there. Let them plant it if that is an issue because of the size.

PS. try mini blinds for the window. They can provide a view out, but still provide some privacy even when partially open.

I would opt for planting "hedge" type bushes. This way you can keep them low enough to see over the top of when standing (if you want to ), yet have full screen of the window so that drivers and passers-by can't see in. Oleander is a quick growing and easy to maintain bush, there are others that are more dense, talk to your nursery.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

As much as I hate to see a tree being chopped down, it's a necessary thing to do when the tree is diseased.

You can plant new trees as ed21 suggests, or bushes as spruce suggests. Install blindes, verticles, curtains, dr-apes, even a redwood fence.

There are a few other options for privacy and one of them is sun reflector film, applied directly on the window glass. Besides the energy saving adventages, it will also give you the privacy you are looking for: you can see outside, but you can't be seen from the outside.

Or any combination of the above suggestions.

dj1,

The only problem with reflective films is that in the evening, they have the reverse effect - people can see in, but you can't see out! Low-E Glass windows are somewhat like this. The thin metalic coating reflects the light back to the side where the light is. The Low-E windows on my last house were like a blueish mirror at night, making it difficult to see out at night.

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    dj1,

The only problem with reflective films is that in the evening, they have the reverse effect - people can see in, but you can't see out! Low-E Glass windows are somewhat like this. The thin metalic coating reflects the light back to the side where the light is. The Low-E windows on my last house were like a blueish mirror at night, making it difficult to see out at night.
    True, except that most folks draw down their draps and curtains or shut their blinds and verticles at night.

At least I do.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    True, except that most folks draw down their draps and curtains or shut their blinds and verticles at night.

At least I do.
    Some people aren't as inhibited as you.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Spruce,
    I simply prefer not to see the robbers face to face.