+ Reply to Thread

Default Full bath remodel

I saw a similar post to what mine will be, but thought I'd create one that may be more specific to my needs, which are several

I bought my house about 6 months ago and have discovered that the tiling around the tub is practically falling off the wall. Under part of it, around the lip of the tub, the wall has disintegrated between water leaking in between the tiling and just general moisture standard when using a bathroom.

I definitely need to rip the tiling and wall out. My intent is to install a new tub and bath surround, so I'll start with that plan.

When replacing the walls, my plan is to rip out all three walls (alcove tub) and replace them with concrete backer board before installing the surround. I will be replacing the tub as well.

The big question I have is whether the backer board is needed. From what I've read, there's no taping done when it comes to putting up backer board. I have seen direct-to-stud surrounds, but have my reservations about that idea. The other worry I have is that there may be mold/damage to the studs as well.

The next major piece with the bathroom is getting a vent installed. Right now, there is no vent in the bathroom and I don't have an inkling as to how to remedy that. One wall is to an exterior wall.

In summary, main primary questions on the project are:
    1. Backer board or direct to stud for the surround itself?
    2. How concerned should I be about possible damage to the studs?
    3. When replacing the tub, what might I need beyond the tub itself?
    4. What are the considerations for installing an exhaust vent where there currently is not one?

I'm also considering more gutting and having the floor re-done and vanity replaced all at the same time, but for cost reasons, not to mention the urgency of the need for the repairs around the tub, may not be able to get it all done at once.

Any input, feedback, suggestions or help are very welcome. Thanks!

Default Re: Full bath remodel

Let me start with a couple of questions:

1. Where is this bathroom? 1st floor or 2nd floor?
    If on 1st floor: is it on a slab or raised foundation?

2. for your new bathtub surround: do you want a tub and tile or one unit plastic surround?

Some of your questions:

- The condition of the framing: once you demo and remove everything out, do a framing inspection. I'm sure you'll have plenty to replace, well, that will be the time to do it. This is very important that it's done correctly, so if you're not sure, hire someone who is. Install blocks between the studs, mark their locations so later you can attach towel bars, toilet paper dispenser and even grab bars. Also redo all your plumbing now.

- The backers: there are a few ways to do it. I like cement backers on the studs with a 6mm plastic in between. Use the right screws and space them correctly.

- Exhaust fan: you need an exhaust fan if you have no window. Personally I like a window. A vent will do too.

If you're out of money, you can do the floor later, it is just a different job.

The bathroom is a first floor bathroom with a window on the exterior wall. Cracking it open in the winter is a bit prohibitive up in Minnesota, if that's what you might have been thinking That's why I was thinking more about venting/exhaust, especially since the house does seem to have a high relative humidity.

As for the tub/surround, we're not planning on tiling - we're looking to go tub and plastic surround. I've been eyeing the Sterling products for both.

When you refer to the plastic in between, I want to make sure I understand correctly that the plastic goes between the studs and the backer board, correct? That was one thing I hadn't taken into consideration.

What considerations should I have to redo plumbing?

Thanks for the response!

You can cover the studs with tar paper, laid horizontally, starting at the bottom and overlapping as you go up. But, you may find that for fit purposes, you need to use something like backerboard. If you use backerboard, then use the self sticking tape and fill the gaps with thinset.

Hey guys,

Can you give me a total of budget to remodel my Bathroom.

Thanks

Jose

Quote Originally Posted by Jose234 View Post
    Hey guys,

Can you give me a total of budget to remodel my Bathroom.

Thanks

Jose
    We can't. Prices of materials and labor are different from region to region.

Contact 2 or 3 local contractors to get prices.

Sure,

Twice as much as you plan on spending and twice as long as you thought it would take.

I can't give you a number from my office, even if I stand on my chair and look at your house.