+ Reply to Thread

Default Feathering out joints

I'm remodeling and there are some areas of wall that i took out some drywall but not the whole way as it would have increased my project size dramatically. So i'm tieing in new drywall to existing drywall and the existing drywall is 2 layers one 3/8" and one 1/2". As expected once i put the new pieces in and in some areas they do not line up perfect others line up real well so i will feather the joint out with a wide knife. Should i put a coat of mud on the more shallow piece to even out the joint, let it dry sand it then put tape over the joint or should i put the tape before i build up the shallow piece? Or put tape on both times? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Feathering out joints

You can fill up to about 1/8", so just tape the whole thing and put your first coat of compound on it. You'll leave a little more compound in the low spot and less where it is more flush. With subsequent coats (at least 2 more ) you should be able to finish filling the low area and feather it in with the original wall.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: Feathering out joints

For future reference, a low seam can be shimmed up with cardboard shims, or even thin lattice if the mismatch is that great. The cardboard shims are sold where you buy your drywall.