+ Reply to Thread

Cool Fence Painting headach

Last May I had an untreated stockade privacy fence installed in my backyard. I let the wood dry out and weather per instruction of installer before painting. In August I was able to paint 3/4 of the fence at that time. I used an oil base, barn and fence paint that I have always had good results in exterior applications. With fall/winter approaching I did not have the time to finish it. I had a professional painter finish it. I had told the paint company, what type of paint was used and they said that would not be an issue. Well it is now Feb, and I have paint chips all over the yard and neighbors yards. Apparently they used a water based latex so they could use a sprayer. This spring I need to repaint it again. I will power wash the fence to remove any loose paint first. My question is, What recommendations do you have on what paint/primer I can use on this to encapsulate the previous paint layers and finally get a good coat that will last. The first oil based coat is still firmly adheared to the fence. Thanks for any help.

Default Re: Fence Painting headach

Quote Originally Posted by Deco36' View Post
    My question is, What recommendations do you have on what paint/primer I can use on this to encapsulate the previous paint layers and finally get a good coat that will last.
    There isn't one. Anything you put over the top of a failed coating will be relying on the failed coating's adhesion. Your only option is to remove as much of the failed coating as possible before repainting. If you were happy with the performance of the coating you applied yourself, then I would recommend going back with that.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I have to agree with Spruce, subsequent paint/stain jobs are only as good as the adhesion of the paint already there.

That being said, I would avoid a full bodied house/fence paint for the same reason I dislike them on decks. There are too many joints in the construction where water may enter the wood. Once the wood has been dampened, the heat of the summer beats on the fence/deck and that moisture wants out NOW!! If the coating is not able to breathe sufficiently and is not really bonded to the wood, it WILL peel!

First, the wood should be either allowed to age for several months to open the grain, or should be treated with oxalic acid to open the grain. Open grain will assure that the coating penetrates into the wood and gets a good, holding bond.

Secondly, I would use a solid hide stain, either oil or acylic. Both are self-priming. Acrylics are more color fast. Oil often becomes splotchy looking after a couple years.

It does sound that your contractor used a product that was not compatible with the way it was used.If you have had luck with your original product, then stick with it.

You indicate that they sprayed their product on. I infer that you brushed yours? I have always been an advocate for at least back brushing while spraying. I believe that physically brushing the paint into the grain of the wood increases adhesion. Also, spraying alone just does not get down into the cracks and joints as does brushing. It is these joints that ultimately are vulnerable to water infiltration.

Thank you for the pointers. I had figured that was the news, but wanted to ask aound to make sure. We applied the enamel with rollers and brushes. The bare wood soaked the paint right in and left a nice finish. As I said unfortunatly I did not have the time to complete the task before winter, hence the issue. This spring I will blast as much of the old paint off as possible and repaint it with the barn & fence paint we started with.

An old saying: "If it's yours and you want it done right, do it yourself"

True in most cases.

one reason would be the fence wasn't dry when they applied the stain if it was oil that's why waterborne paints are far superior than oil you have a wider range of weather condition to work under i have seen it happen many times late in the season when i refuse to apply oil after september here in mi any moisture has to be completly dry before using and waterborne products are far superior than any oil (passe) when you p/wash use a rotating blasting tip it will remove any loose paint quickly & easy use at least a 2500 psi good luck

Quote Originally Posted by topherjhon View Post
    Can someone please help me with this headache? Neighbor calls humane society harassing me about horses.....?
    bought an amish house about a year and a half ago with about 2 acres.. went to an auction bought a 5 year old paint and a lady desperately needed to get right of a yearling tennessee walker so i took it also.. fenced in my acerage and my neighbor wanted to buy my land i said no. since it has been constant complaints about how my dogs bark night and day (they do not, as they are inside except to pee) and the humane society was called, they came found nothing and left.. the same neighbor had a confrontation with my husband told him to duck tape their months shut (i will not do!) and now he has been calling the humane society on our horses stating they are extremely thin not taken care of and have no water. The paint that I bought recently have a colt (BIG SURPRIZE) and the humane officer is coming out tomorrow morning because she says we don't have enough land for three horse (im selling the walker) and they are still not being taken care of. These horses are not thin (fat if anything) they get 1 scoop of feed 3 times a day, as much hay and grass as they desire, and plentiful amounts of water. I'm being harassed have already talked to state police.. my question is (im sorry this is so long) is there an exact LAWFUL amount of land a horse has to have? we live around the amish who have horses fenced in their SOOO small yards. and Does this humane officer have to right to keep coming to my property for NO REASON? thank you soooo sooo much I appreciate it I'm at my wits end.

I don't think you can get answers here, in this forum.

Try your building department at your city hall. The amount of land for horses is a zoning question.

Regarding the barking/not barking dogs: talk to the animal control people. If they see that your neighbor is complaining and harassing you for no reason, they will stop taking his complaints seriously. Maybe even tell him to mind his own business.