+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Installing a granite double sink with garbage disposal

I just got a granite double sink off craigslist. Haven't got the faucet or disposal yet. Having a hell of a time trying to find a video or even some instruction on how to install top mount granite sink.

My other question is about garbage disposal removal. So far everything I read something about removing wire attachments but mine is a plugIn.

Default Re: Installing a granite double sink with garbage disposal

1. What material is your counter top?

2. Most new garbage disposals come with an electrical cord. If the GD you buy doesn't have one, remove the old cord from the old disposal and connect it to the new disposal.

The disposal I'm thinking of buying, comes with a power cord. The countertop is plain laminate.

A new sink usually comes with a template, to use in cutting the rough opening in the countertop. Since you don't have a template, you'll need to make sure the sink fits in the opening. Opening too small? the sink won't fit and the opening has to be enlarged. Opening too large? the sink won't securely rest on the countertop. In this case this sink won't work.

There are demos on youtube you can watch. If you find this job a bit too hard for you, hire a plumber.

The granite sink is the same measurements as my current sink only difference is the bowls are deeper. So I'm not worried about the opening being too big.

A granite sink should be heavy enough that you won't need any fasteners to hold it in place. Just put a bead of caulk around the edge of the countertop (I seem to recall that you shouldn't use silicone; I could be wrong) and set the sink in place. Let the caulk set up.

It may be easier to attach the hardware (faucet, drain basket, garbage disposer ring) before setting the sink in place.

There is a ring attached to the sink that the garbage disposer attaches to. The garbage disposer is usually attached and removed with a twist.
    Last edited by Fencepost; 02-22-2012 at 10:35 AM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

If the new sink is deeper than the old sink , then you have a tighter space for your drains and your garbage disposal. Select a disposal the will fit in this tighter space under the new sink.

If you run into problems, such as adjusting your drain line, it will better to hire a plumber.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    A granite sink should be heavy enough that you won't need any fasteners to hold it in place. Just put a bead of caulk around the edge of the countertop (I seem to recall that you shouldn't use silicone; I could be wrong) and set the sink in place. Let the caulk set up.

It may be easier to attach the hardware (faucet, drain basket, garbage disposer ring) before setting the sink in place.

There is a ring attached to the sink that the garbage disposer attaches to. The garbage disposer is usually attached and removed with a twist.
    Oh thought I read to use silicone sealant but I check again. Will do on the hardware, got the faucet today, now just need to get the disposal.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    If the new sink is deeper than the old sink , then you have a tighter space for your drains and your garbage disposal. Select a disposal the will fit in this tighter space under the new sink.

If you run into problems, such as adjusting your drain line, it will better to hire a plumber.

Adjusting the tubing/PVC pipe for the drain line shouldn't be too hard since I had to do that when installed a sink in my bathroom.

It looks like you have every detail figured out, and you are good to go.

Let us know how it went.

Won't be for another couple of weeks but will do.