+ Reply to Thread

Cool wind through doorknob

my sister had a new french door put in on the back of her home now you can hear wind coming in through the door knob!! i asked around and the say no way.the people who put it in came back and said thats a first for them.so they put a new door knob in 2 days ago no wind but today wind is blowing and it is coming in again!! what could be making it do that?

the door came from lowes,the door is a in-swing and it is a Two unit door. if you need to open both at same time you can. but the one is locked in place.the lock was changed again and today the wind is doing the samething.
    Last edited by Oldmutt; 02-29-2012 at 02:08 PM. Reason: update

Default Re: wind through doorknob

Manufacture of door? in-swing? out-swing? lock type and manufacture? Two unit door with one fixed door? or just one unit?

I have never heard of this either.

More details please.

I'm wondering the same thing: if the knob covers the hole, where is the wind coming from?

In "The Kid" Chaplin and the kid spend the night sleeping behind a wood fence. It's so cold and windy, so Chaplin takes a small piece of paper, rolls it up and plugs a tiny hole in the fence...then falls asleep.

Ok how darn windy is it? If the rest of the home is tight then a little fresh air is not a bad thing. Does it play a tune?
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

With the loose tolerances of the moving parts, some air is going to pass through any lockset using a bored-through hole (which essentially means all of them). Save for some caulking at the edges of the escutcheon there's not a lot you can do without taking a chance of jamming the mechanism. If the house and the rest of the door is so well-sealed that you notice this, take it as a sign of a well-sealed house.

Phil

the door came from lowes,the door is a in-swing and it is a Two unit door. if you need to open both at same time you can. but the one is locked in place.

Could the air be leaking through the door weatherstrip?

Why don't you check the doors for snug closing?

Try a smoke test to see exactly where it's coming from and going. You can always get some foam tape and put it behind the knobs coverplate if that's the cause of the frustration.