+ Reply to Thread

Thread: soldering pipes

Default soldering pipes

Is there a problem if a repair in a leaking pipe was repaired with solder containing lead. I hear pipe repair with solder should not contain lead. Should I have this repair done over again.
    Thanks

Default Re: soldering pipes

How much soldering was done? If you just talking about a joint or two I wouldn't be to concerned. There is properly more lead solder in your faucets.

john

Quote Originally Posted by l.bro View Post
    Is there a problem if a repair in a leaking pipe was repaired with solder containing lead. I hear pipe repair with solder should not contain lead. Should I have this repair done over again.
    Thanks
    Prior to 2006, almost all solders had lead in them. Since then lead was removed and most solders today are tin with very little copper.

However, as john mentioned, faucets, water supply connectors, anglestops, fittings and brass components still have lead in them. In California all of the above sold today are leadfree. Soon all states will require leadfree eveything.

So if you worry about lead in a few connectors, then you should replace everything in your house that carries water as well - impractical.

BTW, how do you know that leaded solder was used in the repair?

Smile Re: soldering pipes

Well first off even the supposed lead free solder, faucets, fixtures etc.. required by California is a joke lead free doesn't mean lead free it means very little lead they still contain lead second of all as stated by others you would have to repipe the whole home but lets also take in the account that the city has tons of lead in there pipes and water supply ummmmm the only way your gonna keep from drinking or showering in it would to put a carbon or other filtration device on your home and repipe it but I think that you are just over reacting BTW a ton of this lead free stuff doesn't work so good the lead use to fill in small holes and imperfections in brass now that they aren't there I have been running into a lot of them leaking lets also think about what there replacing it with plastic what do we know about plastic? when it gets warm or hot it allows the chemical compounds to leach into the water so don't be surprised when everyone is talking about how its been causing cancer and soon it will regulated too and off to a new product to continue to do the same or be worse than the small 0.005% lead that was in there before. Orem Benjamin Plumbing http://www.benfranklinplumbingorem.com
    153 N Garden Park Orem UT, Orem, UT 84057
    (801) 960-1565 ‎

Quote Originally Posted by plumbingjim17 View Post
    Well first off even the supposed lead free solder, faucets, fixtures etc.. required by California is a joke lead free doesn't mean lead free it means very little lead they still contain lead second of all as stated by others you would have to repipe the whole home but lets also take in the account that the city has tons of lead in there pipes and water supply ummmmm the only way your gonna keep from drinking or showering in it would to put a carbon or other filtration device on your home and repipe it but I think that you are just over reacting BTW a ton of this lead free stuff doesn't work so good the lead use to fill in small holes and imperfections in brass now that they aren't there I have been running into a lot of them leaking lets also think about what there replacing it with plastic what do we know about plastic? when it gets warm or hot it allows the chemical compounds to leach into the water so don't be surprised when everyone is talking about how its been causing cancer and soon it will regulated too and off to a new product to continue to do the same or be worse than the small 0.005% lead that was in there before. Orem Benjamin Plumbing http://www.benfranklinplumbingorem.com
    (801) 960-1565 ‎
    True, lead free is not 100% lead free, but it's a lot more lead free than what we used prior to 2006: about 65% tin and 35% lead...so where is the joke?

You can't turn this country to 100% lead free plumbing overnight. It takes time. The same process as unleaded gasoline - it took some 10 years to do.

On the issue of the quality of the solder: true, it misses the lead, but are you complaining? it should be good for plumbers' business!

The point is that lead is hazardous to your health, we all agree on that, and we are willing to give away some of the plumbing quality to live lead free (almost) life.

Quote Originally Posted by plumbingjim17 View Post
    (801) 960-1565 ‎
    As far as the filling capacities of today's lead free solder it's just as good or even better then the old 50/50 solder used to be. What your saying was true of the first lead frees that came out but not any more. As far as the strength of lead free it is by far stronger then 50/50 solder. When 50/50 was being used, in many areas 50/50 wasn't allowed on heating systems. It couldn't stand up to the expansion and contraction that you get on copper heating lines. We had to use 95/5 which was one of the first lead frees. The filling capacities of the 95/5 were horrible, but it is was far stronger then the 50/50.

John

Im not talking about solder I was talking about fitting's like ball valve's faucets etc... the plastic is no more better for our health than the small amount of lead in them before the new lead free law. Before the lead free law most manufactures didn't put very much lead in there faucets anyways besides at the MIP fitting under the sink to connect your supply lines too and a little in the faucet body. Im just stating that if there so worried about the lead in our water supplies maybe they should be replacing there water mains that infect our water far worse than if you used the old solder and fixtures in your own home and the problem is we are replacing them with plastic which is known to cause health problems as well if your going to fix something and replace it with something that is hazardous to your health at least use something that is better for your health! as I stated I am all for a healthier country and world but if you think these new laws for lead free our making us healthier I disagree because the material they are using to replace the lead is also not good for you and you still have the lead in the water anyways from the city and other sources if you want clean lead free drinking water you will need some type of filter installed such as Reverse Osmosis or carbon but as far as 1 fitting or 2 soldered with some lead in it no need to worry there is a lot more lead being supplied to the home in the water itself and if you don't have a filter you shouldn't be drinking and bathing in the water any how chlorine causes cancer and in less than a 10 min shower your body absorbs more chlorine than the 8 recommended glasses of water a day. I think its good we are trying to improve quality of life but I disagree with the way and material being used to do so they can use lead free low lead brass fitting not plastic supply lines already attached to faucet etc.. thats all I was stating.

Ben Franklin Plumbing Of Alpine
    304 Meadowlark Dr, Alpine, UT 84004
    (801) 960-1567 ‎
    http://www.benfranklinplumbingalpine.com

There's no piping material, aside from laboratory-grade glass, that is completely free of harmful substances. And laboratory-grade glass isn't feasible for city water lines or plumbing your home.

Even if it were, the fluoride in many city water systems might etch the glass, resulting in the production of silicon+fluorine compounds. Is that a problem? I don't know.

Choose your poison. Life isn't about eliminating risks, or even minimizing them, it's about managing them. Where there is no risk there is no reward.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Well in the past, solder normally contained about 50% lead. Well lead can leach from the solder and cause health hazards. So it is basically advised to avoid its usage.