+ Reply to Thread

Thread: tub coating

Default tub coating

Is there a way to remove the coating on a cast iron tub that was resurfaced and is now chipping off. I do not know when the tub was resurfaced but I do not want to replace the tub if there is a way to get the coating off without to much damage to the original surface.

Default Re: tub coating

If the tub was resurfaced, odds are the original finish was worn out and unsalvageable.

It will depend on how the tub was resurfaced, as to how you'll be able to get the failing finish off. If it was a DIY kit, then you can probably scr-ape it off fairly easily. If it was a professional coating, you're probably screwed and will have to have it professionally redone.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

The original finish would have been sanded so the resurfacing would adhere. The resurfacing does not last forever. I believe it is a polyester coating. It may respond to paint stripper. No matter how it comes off, you will need to resurface it.

thanks,looks like I will be replacing the tub

Quote Originally Posted by beav View Post
    thanks,looks like I will be replacing the tub
    I'd consult with a refinisher first. Refinishing will cost you about 1/4 to 1/3 of replacement. For a highly used tub, a refinished surface will last 3 to 5 years, maybe a bit more. For an occasionally used tub it will last much much longer.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

All of the above answers are very good.

Personally, I wouldn't resurface again, if I intend to stay put in this house.

Why?
    1. Not all refinishers do a good job.
    2. No matter how good the job is, it won't last more than 5 years, in most cases.
    3. If you stay in this house 15-20 years and refinished the tub 4times, you basically paid for a new cast iron tub or a few enamel over steel tubs or fiberglass tubs, all of which are good for decades.

Tub-Sink-Countertop refinishing is like roof shingles; you will be redoing it, and probably somewhat sooner than the 'official' claimed lifespan indicates. If short-term is good enough I'd still call in a pro for this. You can DIY but it's not worth the aggravation for most amateurs. Find someone with a long history of this trade and ask to speak with some customers from several years back, not last weeks. Anyone can make it look good for a while- it's the durability that makes the difference here.

Phil