+ Reply to Thread

Default Gas boiler, ok to smell a bit of gas in the air ?

hello, I'm wondering if it's safe to have a faint smell of gas in the basement near the gas boiler?

Default Re: Gas boiler, ok to smell a bit of gas in the air ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bolek911 View Post
    hello, I'm wondering if it's safe to have a faint smell of gas in the basement near the gas boiler?
    A faint smell is a relative term. With gas I would have it checked. Call the gas company the will check it out for you. Better to be safe then sorry.

John

It could even be a flue issue. Getting carbon monoxide detector would be wise.

Good answers. let me add: a gas leak, as tiny as it is, is unsafe. You need to have the gas lines, connectors, valves checked and repaired. Never mess with gas.

Have it checked out but more than likely is fine boilers usually do have a small smell upon firing the additive in the gas is to help you know there is a leak natural gas doesn't have a smell but It wouldn't hurt to call the gas company to come look at it they may red tag it and shut it off if it does have a problem but its for your safety and should be handled immediately but more than likely is its first firing cycle.

Ben's Plumbing
    100 E Center St, Provo, UT 84604
    (801) 850-9087 ‎
    http://www.benjaminfranklinplumbing.com

In any boiler room, you'll always smell a faint oder of gas due to the confined space. However smelling gas in a full basement where the boiler has lots of air space would be a big red flag. You should be able to tell the difference between full-on natural gas inundation and normal day-to-day firing. Also know that atmospheric combustion boilers may have more of a lingering oder due to lack of forced-draft fan.