+ Reply to Thread

Default Water Heater Venting

Standard gas hot water heater in basement vents through foundation wall. The Water Heater is leaking, but in order to replace, someone told me that I would either need to run the venting through the roof, install a tankless water heater, or purchase something called a direct venting water heater. The old hot water heater venting seems to work fine. Do I really need to install a direct venting hot water heater? I'd like to avoid because there are fewer purchase options for direct vent versus standard gas water heaters.

Default Re: Water Heater Venting

What type of heating system do you have (forced hot water boiler, forced hot air, etc); if you have a boiler, you have other options.

I think he's talking about a water heater. If the old one was just vented through the wall I can't see how it had much draft. His best option would be a direct vent heater for his replacement.

John
    Last edited by johnjh2o; 02-17-2012 at 07:01 PM.

Hi John,
    Yes, I did mean the hot water heater. I don't really understand much about hot water venting. I even had someone tell me that if I didn't go with direct vent to add a foundation vent near the hot water heater to draw more air??? (the basement is basically an excavated crawl space with concrete walls and floor, but viewable sub floor above)

Thanks for your input.

If you go with a standard gas water heater you will need a flue vent to go through the roof plus you will need a vent to allow combustion into the crawl space. If you use a direct vent heater both the flue vent and the combustion air vent can go through the foundation wall as long as the are no windows directly above the vents.

John
    Last edited by johnjh2o; 02-17-2012 at 07:09 PM.

Cool Re: Water Heater Venting

Since you will be shopping for a hot water heater, consider a new 240v breaker, a little wire, and a new shiny electric hot water heater that doesent require a vent, just a thought,wayne...
    Hidden Content maintenance director...

As a rule I would never install an atmospheric or natural draft appliance with a horizontal flue. Sloping up is one thing, but it should never be installed perfectly horizontal. Of course, I don't know the installation perfectly. But unless It's going into a masonry flue or straight up, don't use natural draft. There are many direct vent power vent models of water heaters available.