+ Reply to Thread

Question Hinged Door in the Floor

Hi everybody,
    I'm looking for any advice on building a hinged trap door in the floor to access my basement. I want to do this so I can expand my living space. Any advice? w w w . flickr.com/photos/kimhascats/3188437805/in/set-72157620692394638.
    Thanks in advance for any advice!
    Last edited by joan_nord@yahoo.com; 02-18-2012 at 11:05 PM.

Default Re: Hinged Door in the Floor

Last edited by A. Spruce; 02-18-2012 at 11:25 PM.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

thanks, it worked!

For a latch, I'd use one of the flat toolbox latches you see on service trucks (the ones that go out to the jobsite to fuel and lube construction equipment). In the pictures, they are using gas springs (frequently found on pickup canopy doors and the trunks of Volkswagens) to support the hatch.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I think a piano hinge would look a lot better than the strap hinges they used. It doesn't need to hold much weight because you have the pistons assiting when it is open and when it is closed, it is physically resting on structure all the way around.

hate to break it to you but doing this goes against code. we tried doing something similar a few years ago however the inspector picked up on it immediately and shut it down.. had to be treated as either a fully open passage or closed off completely
    fire up the saw and make some dust

If you just wanted to provide access to the basement from inside the house, I wouldn't have a problem with the trap door. Especially if it was tucked under a stair like in the photo. A building inspector probably would.

If you want to expand your living area into the basement, you need an official(code compliant)stair with proper tread/risers, handrail and a guardrail around any open sides.