+ Reply to Thread

Default Advice: Contemplating Buying Used AC Condensor

I currently have a 15 yr old Airquest Central AC: Model NAC060AKA1 Ser.# L021909682 5 Ton in a antiquainted older Space-Pak system that works in conjunction with a boiler system heated home...thus NO duct work and must stay for lack the BIG $ it would cost to R&R the whole system...with that said I have been thinking of picking up a used 2007 TRANE XR-13 5 Ton outdoor unit IN CASE my current Air-Quest expires...now this Trane unit was taken out of service (late 2010) on a R&R to go to newer Refrigerant model and get rebates I guess...the XR-13 is a R22 model which is what I have now...I know the refridgerant is being fased out but I have a new jug of it and wondered if this would be good thinking...I can get it for 300 and it was basically used for three years in a Michigan climate. My big question is: IS IT IMPORTANT for one of these units WHEN REMOVED to be left with Refridgeant IN IT and SEALED up?? or would being left open and dry be a concern if I'm not thinking of putting it in service anytime soon and only if the Air-Quest expires in the future. Appreciate anyones 2 cents on this consderation and ANY advice you might have. As always Thanks also to TOH for the oopurtunity to get the help.

Default Re: Advice: Contemplating Buying Used AC Condensor

Buying a used anything is buying someone else's headache. Not worth the savings.

Hmmm...well I've sure saved a hell of lot of $ over the years making deals like this with NO headaches that I can recall...maybe $ aren't as important to you :-) Thanks though I appreciate your take on it....really just wondering mostly about storage "Charged" or NOT being a negative...does the OIL and such protect anything and required for these when not in use...of course the other big question is this freon being a dieing breed...I do have a fresh jug of though.

Usually when a Condenser has been removed it's a good idea to braze the Ref. lines closed, this prevents the oil from leaking out and keeps crap from getting in. It doesn't matter if it's stored with or with out Ref. that I know of, I'd prefer with out. You have to think of why they replaced it, bad compressor, leak in the coil, etc. ? If you do buy it and if it's been on it's side let it sit upright for a day to get the oil back to where it belongs in the Comp. Would I buy a used one, probably not but if I did I'd have to know where it came from.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
    Hmmm...well I've sure saved a hell of lot of $ over the years making deals like this with NO headaches that I can recall...maybe $ aren't as important to you :-) Thanks though I appreciate your take on it....really just wondering mostly about storage "Charged" or NOT being a negative...does the OIL and such protect anything and required for these when not in use...of course the other big question is this freon being a dieing breed...I do have a fresh jug of though.
    Bigdog,

It's not a question of money. Well on second thought, it is a question of money...because the cheap usually ends up costing more. Also consider labor.

Ask yourself: if it's such a good unit, why is it being taken out of service?

When it comes to electrical components, parts, devices, appliances, etc. I wouldn't consider "used". Really, when you buy electrical parts, have you seen the sign "Electrical Parts are Non Returnable"?

And that includes a used compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Bigdog,

It's not a question of money. Well on second thought, it is a question of money...because the cheap usually ends up costing more. Also consider labor.

Ask yourself: if it's such a good unit, why is it being taken out of service?

When it comes to electrical components, parts, devices, appliances, etc. I wouldn't consider "used". Really, when you buy electrical parts, have you seen the sign "Electrical Parts are Non Returnable"?

And that includes a used compressor.

Gee didn't read this post somewhere??

Apparently this unit was changed out with (3) others in commercial rentals as part of updating to new units using the newer 410 taking advantage of gov. rebates...at least that's the story I'm getting...I don't see that many 5 ton units and that's why I was interested in possibly picking it up... and for 300 which is what he'd take for it. He sounds legit and seems on the level BUT it's always a chance ya take on deals like this. I just wondered about the lack of oil possibly in it anymore while down and if the R22 was something to steer clear of because of it no longer being available. Thanks to all for chiming in...I do apprecaite the thoughts.

The oil should still be in it, very little may have went through the system with the refrigerant but a minimal amount at best and you can always have a tech check that for you. If it's installed right with no leaks you won't have to worry about using any R22, my Trane is 27 years old and have never had to add any. The choice is yours.