+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chalk paint

Default Chalk paint

I'm wondering what the buzz about the chalk paint is(different than chalkboard paint) Is it smooth after dried?

Default Re: Chalk paint

honestly not sure... it might be the new "politcally correct" name for it...
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Chalk paint in the South in the early days 1840 & up was called Rabbit Paint.
    It was made with Lime, Hyde Glue & water.
    Also known as Calcimine Paint.
    Also known as Lime wash.

Clarence,

I remember calsimine well. I washed much of it off during my early years in painting in the mid-50's.Calsimine was very watersoluble and was normally washed off before more was applied. Unfortunately, sometimes people would have painted oil paint over it. Oil paint, having no water in it, would not break the bond of the calsimine. About this time, latex water borne paints were beginning to appear. If you then painted over what you thought was oil paint, but had calsimine underneath, massive pealing and a real mess resulted! The moisture would works its way through to the calsimine and everything would fester up.

hmmm. ok i was thinking something different.. sounds similar to "milk paint" its powder that gets mixed with water... typically brush applied... if its the same as what your asking about.. its not smooth

if you want a smooth finish your going to need a sprayed finish
    fire up the saw and make some dust

The chalk paint you are hearing about is Annie Sloan Chalk paint. She is an author/artist/painter who developed this in England 21 years ago. It is new to the USA as of 18 months ago and it is selling like crazy! It is waterbased, goes on like butter, and is smooth when dry. You protect it with a soft wax finish which penetrates the paint and seals it. It is being used on old furniture, new furniture, cabinets, floors, walls, metal, laminate, etc. It sticks with no priming, no sanding and no stripping, over oil based paint, varnish, lacquer, etc. It is environmentally safe, low VOC and quite simply, it is changing how people think about paint!

Quote Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
    The chalk paint you are hearing about is Annie Sloan Chalk paint. She is an author/artist/painter who developed this in England 21 years ago. It is new to the USA as of 18 months ago and it is selling like crazy! It is waterbased, goes on like butter, and is smooth when dry. You protect it with a soft wax finish which penetrates the paint and seals it. It is being used on old furniture, new furniture, cabinets, floors, walls, metal, laminate, etc. It sticks with no priming, no sanding and no stripping, over oil based paint, varnish, lacquer, etc. It is environmentally safe, low VOC and quite simply, it is changing how people think about paint!
    Vicki
    Thanks for the info.
    I have ordered some samples kits
    Will try it with some new plaster finish and let you know how it works.
    Sounds like some of the old work paints.

Thanks everyone!