+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mortis Locks

Default Mortis Locks

Some time ago I saw Tom Silva change a door from mortis to cyclinder type lockset. Now I have ran into the problem. Can anyone help or tell me where I can obtain the video?

Thank you Mike

Default Re: Mortis Locks

Not difficult to do and no need for the vid.

You need to tailor make a block of wood to fit the existing mortise leaving just enough room for glue. Make it so it's flush to the edge of the door. Coat it well with carpenters glue (it should fit snugly assisted with some light taps from a mallet) You will also need a quality wood filler for some of the voids.

Quote Originally Posted by LIHR View Post
    Not difficult to do and no need for the vid.

You need to tailor make a block of wood to fit the existing mortise leaving just enough room for glue. Make it so it's flush to the edge of the door. Coat it well with carpenters glue (it should fit snugly assisted with some light taps from a mallet) You will also need a quality wood filler for some of the voids.
    This is the better way, but I've had great success on painted doors with the 'wood bondo' as long as all the void was well-filled. That is done by taking the door down and standing it with the lock edge up, tacking or clamping boards over the old holes with wax paper between them and the door, and mixing the filler a bit thin. Pour and poke it in till the hole is filled and let it sit till the next day. Remove the boards and paper, then fill any voids with the same stuff but thicker and in a few minutes you're ready to block-sand to a flat surface and inlet for the new lock. The only problems I've encountered doing this is that the plunger screws can strip easily so just substitute scrounged ones at least an inch long.

I normally don't like the idea of 'shortcuts' like this one, but when they work this well and save this much time and effort they are worth your consideration. Yes, the wood is better but not by as much as you'd think. In my home I'd go for fitted wood inserts everywhere just because I can and I love the challenge- my customers get the other way because they don't want to pay for this much handwork on my part.

Phil

This is a typical old house mortise lock; and entry (front door) type lock. You can see the latch portion above and the deadbolt part below. The pushbuttons at the top are particular to entry types.
    The bolt is operated by a "bit key" (often called a skeleton key, but that's a slight misnomer)

Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.