+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Taking Down Plaster Wall

Hey everyone new to this forum. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. i have been scratching my head about this for a couple weeks. i know nothing about plaster except they stopped using it about 20 yrs before i was born, anyway. i have plaster walls and ceilings in my new house (98yrs old) no lath though, used a cement type board instead. There is a wall (non-load) between my kitchen and living room that i am planning on removing. After i remove the wall i am going to cover the entire ceiling with 1/4" drywall which will cover the gap where the previous wall was. How can i fill the gap that will be left on the wall where the previous wall was? Hope this makes sense. And thanks again in advance.

-Shane

Default Re: Taking Down Plaster Wall

You build up layers of drywall and shims. Since you're using 1/4" rock to cover the ceiling, just use scraps of that. I'd use at least two layers with shims. Once filled to within 1/8" of being flush, you can apply joint tape and compound as you will be doing to the ceiling.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

thanks for reply. can you explain how you would use shims with drywall?

-S

Hold drywall in place by hand, measure difference between drywall and surface of plaster. Cut shim accordingly.

If the thickness is uniform from top to bottom of the gap, you can use just about anything you want, including more drywall. If the depth varies, then make marks on the wall every foot or so, measure, and custom cut a shim to the correct depth. Whatever you do, the drywall needs to be kept just shy of flush from the plaster surface, this will give you room to tape and fill without creating a huge lump on the wall.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

sounds good thanks a bunch

Quote Originally Posted by Shane2 View Post
    Hey everyone new to this forum. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. i have been scratching my head about this for a couple weeks. i know nothing about plaster except they stopped using it about 20 yrs before i was born, anyway. i have plaster walls and ceilings in my new house (98yrs old) no lath though, used a cement type board instead. There is a wall (non-load) between my kitchen and living room that i am planning on removing. After i remove the wall i am going to cover the entire ceiling with 1/4" drywall which will cover the gap where the previous wall was. How can i fill the gap that will be left on the wall where the previous wall was? Hope this makes sense. And thanks again in advance.

-Shane
    If you have cement board under the plaster it's not 98 years old.
    For the repair at the wall you can pick one of the following.
    Install sheet rock direct to stud use gypsun plaster to bring out flush with existing plaster surface than skim the complete wall with a veneer plaster.
    Option # 2 install a wire mesh to the stud fill the area with Gypsum plaster flush to existing than skim wall as above.
    Skimming the complete wall will eliminate the patched area.
    Also keep in mind that if this wall was orginal the plaster on either side may not be on the same plane.

i solved this problem by using 2 pieces of 3/8 drywall that equals the thickness of the plaster then just mud just make sure you use 2" drywall screws

Apparently (according to their website) USG introduced rocklath in 1928. I knew it was some time circa 1930, but now we have a date certain.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

If the board in refference was a gypsum product it could have been one of the following.
    Pyrobar Gypsum tile board 1903
    Sackett Plaster board 1909
    Folded edge Plaster board 1910
    These were also used to plaster over.