+ Reply to Thread

Default eliminating a receptical

when i redo a wall, i`m going to remove a recep. and eliminate it. should i cap the wires and leave the box and cover it or remove the box and cap the wires and let the wires fall inside? sorry if this is a dumb question but what`s the right thing to do here? thank you

Default Re: eliminating a receptical

remove the box and cap the wires and let the wires fall inside?
    DO NOT DO THIS.
    This is illegal and can be dangerous.

should i cap the wires and leave the box and cover it
    Yes.
    Go to the hardware store and by a blank electrical cover to replace the receptacle cover.
    All connections and splices need to be accessible.

Connect the white to white and black to black with wire nuts inside the existing box.
    Then with electrical tape run a few strands around the white pair also covering the wire nut .... do the same with the black pair.
    This will give some added strength to the connection along with some added safety.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Howdy, code and good electrical workmanship requires you to make this and exposed, accessible, junction box instead of and outlet a blank plate cover will be on the surface of the box that will need to be left in the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Connect the white to white and black to black with wire nuts inside the existing box.
    Then with electrical tape run a few strands around the white pair also covering the wire nut .... do the same with the black pair.
    This will give some added strength to the connection along with some added safety.
    In addition, make sure the grounds (bare wires ) stay bundled as well. Usually they are held together with a crimp connector, but there's still plenty out there that are bundled under a wire nut and nothing else.

Blank covers can be painted or wallpapered to blend in with the rest of the wall, making them nearly invisible.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!