+ Reply to Thread

Default Lap siding on cinderblock

I am looking for the best advice on how to install lap siding on top of cinderblock walls. I was thinking maybe 2x2 strips attached to the blocks with Tapcon screws?
    Thanks,

Default Re: Lap siding on cinderblock

thats exactly what you want to do. space the vertical strapping every 16" along the wall and dont forget bug screen at the bottom to keep critters out

by using this system (rain screen) it will allow the back of the siding to dry evenly which will reduce the chance of hte paint from blistering along with reducing the risk of rot. just be sure to use pressure treated furring as it will be in contact with concrete
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Okay, thanks for the response. Now, I will still want to use OSB on the strips, then the siding,,,,,,correct?

Thanks,

What kind of lap siding? If it was wood German siding , then no plywood, that is designed to go directly on studs.
    If weatherboarding (same profile thickness top to bottom) again, no plywood needed, the boards have enough integrity from the extra thickness.
    If tapered clapboards (they run from 1/8" at the thin edge to 5/8" at the drip) then I would prefer to see some kind of sheathing, and tyvek upon the sheathing to keep it dry.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

by no means use osb for your furring strips.. it has no holding power on its own when it comes to fasteners.. not only that it will swell and fall apart from water getting at it regularly. use 1x3 pressure treated
    fire up the saw and make some dust