+ Reply to Thread

Question kitchen cabinets

I recently bought a home that has what used to be called "pickled" or "whitewashed" kitchen cabinets. Is there any way to easily stain them darker??

Default Re: kitchen cabinets

Quote Originally Posted by ktnchance@cfl.rr.com View Post
    I recently bought a home that has what used to be called "pickled" or "whitewashed" kitchen cabinets. Is there any way to easily stain them darker??
    UPDATE: Can ANYONE FROM THOH ANSWER THIS?

It will depend on the type of finish that was used. I have seen two types, one a stain covered with a clear finish, the other a spayed on surface whitewash. In either case you will need to strip the finish to bare wood. Once that is done you should be able to stain and finish the cabinets. Do not use a commercial dip-n-strip as it tends to resolve glue in the joints. Try staining in an inconspicuous place to see if you get the results you desire.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

You could try a product like Polyshades. It is polyurethane with color already in it so you can apply it over whatever is there without having to remove it all. As was said already, try it out on the back of a door first to see if you will like the results.

The big problem I have with Polyshades is the fact that it is just a thin coat on the surface and any light scratches will show the color underneath.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by ktnchance@cfl.rr.com View Post
    UPDATE: That's for the info

You're really going to have to remove the old stain prior to re-staining. I've done this before, and believe me, it's VERY time consuming. There are companies who will do "dip stripping", which will take a lot less time, but it might weaken dovetails, dowels, or any other glued parts of your drawers/doors.

Stripping and refinishing is defintly the way to achieve a long lasting finish, the Polyshades over old finished tends to chip and scratch very easily.