+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Water Pressure

Default Water Pressure

I I live in a 40yr old home My water pressure at
    the outside faucet is 60lbs I have pressure problems inside of the home at times with the showers sinks and toilets. Now when I
    bought the house in 07 someone made a attempt to put in a downstairs shower and sink. I'm no expert at all but this doesn't
    look right. Any Ideas

Default Re: Water Pressure

Rob,

Where do you live? I'm gonna guess you have galvanized steel pipes in your old house. Are they silvery grey? With rust at the joints? If yes, then its time to start replacing each and every pipe in your home. Galvanized pipes have an expected lifespan right around 30 years, depending on use and water quality. They corrode from the inside out so you can't see the damage by eye. The inside of the pipe rusts and forms flakes, much like the plaque in my arteries. Over time the rust accumulates and chokes off the flow of water. The weakest spots are where the steel is the thinnest, which is the threaded part of the pipe, at the joint.

Start replacing your pipes around the HWH (hot water heater)as that is the usual first location for pipes to start exploding. You can incorporate pipe replacement with each new home remodeling project, converting the pipes over as you move along OR replace them all at once, depending on your budget and luckiness.

I just replaced my gas HWH. The 19 year old one was working just fine so this was a pre-emptive move on my part. The exit pipe of the HWH was nearly closed off with rust and when I went to loosen the flex hose, the pipe snapped off. The clogged and broken nipple was 12 years old, and I had used di-electric unions.
    Last edited by HoustonRemodeler; 02-12-2012 at 09:25 AM.

60 pressure is good.

First thing, you have to tell us what kind of pipes you have in your house, it will help us to eliminate many of the common causes for low pressure.

Check it out and write back.

Things we need to know:
    1) do you have pressure anywhere in the home that is good? or is it bad everywhere?
    2)what exactly has pressure issues if not everything be specific.
    3)has it always had water pressure issues if no when did it start and did it start with everything or a fixture here then there.
    4)at outside hose bibb do you have good pressure?
    5)at the main water shutoff do you have a pressure regulator its a cone looking thing that is **** and is made of brass usually right above the main water shutoff.
    After you have answered me those questions I would be more than happy to help you discover the problem.

Ben Franklin Plumbing Of Alpine
    304 Meadowlark Dr, Alpine, UT 84004
    (801) 960-1567 ‎
    http://www.benfranklinplumbingalpine.com

If the presure at the service entrance is 60# there is no problem with pressure, and there shouldn't be a regulator. Generally they are not used until you get up to about 80# or more. You may not have a pressure problem at all, it may be a flow problem.

What size and what material pipe is coming into the home? What happens to it immediatly after it comes in? Does the "pressure" drop off when more and more fixtures are opened? If so this is a flow problem.

You could have copper or you could have lead. Both are good pipe materials, but the lead pipes were generally too small for modern homes, and no longer used because of health concerns. If it transissions to galvanized after it enters the home, or if the main line running through the house is too small, long runs, lots of bends, you will have issues.

Your local water utility should be able to look your plumbing over and give you an idea of what the problem is.

Without running a new line in from the street and re-plumbing your whole house, (this would be the best fix, but can be cost prohibitive) you may be able to add a pressure tank or tank with a pump.

Ask your utility for advice.
    Waste not, want not.
    Use it up. Wear it out. Make it due, or due without.