+ Reply to Thread

Thread: gardener

Default gardener

I am going to refinish my hardware floors in my house. Can any one suggest a good sander that I can purchase. Thank you

Default Re: gardener

Refinishing requires a multitude of sanding devices. You're better off renting a drum and orbital sander to get the bulk of the work done. For what those implements can't reach, you can use smaller power tools which can also be rented.

If you have no use for the tool beyond the current task, then it is cheaper to rent it than buy it, as you can rent a much better quality tool than you can cheaply get by with, even for a single use item.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Spruce is correct. the professional quality machines are too expensive to warrant buying them for a one time operation.

The drum sanders take a some skil to use. If you halt the forward movement of the drum for even a second, you will cause a concaved groove in your floor! You might consider one of the large upright orbital sanders. These have a large pad about 1 1/2 feet square. They are much easier to control than the drum sanders. They are also much lighter. Drum sanders are heavy! Orbitals also will get tighter into a corner. Corners and edges can be done with smaller homeowner type sanders. Sharp pull sc****rs are also used to clean out tight edges and corners.

Handywomen,

You already have the best suggestions you can get, but let me tell you this:

Listen to me and let a pro handle this job, just for the dust alone. And oh, let him clean too.

What you can do is apply the three coats of poly.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Refinishing requires a multitude of sanding devices. You're better off renting a drum and orbital sander to get the bulk of the work done. For what those implements can't reach, you can use smaller power tools which can also be rented.

If you have no use for the tool beyond the current task, then it is cheaper to rent it than buy it, as you can rent a much better quality tool than you can cheaply get by with, even for a single use item.
    I have alot of rooms with hardwood floor I will only be able to do one at time I would have to rent the big machine each time. Since all but the living room are small rooms I figured it would be alot cheaper to buy a hand sander. even if the sander was expensive.

Well, a drum sander is going to run you about $4000. An edge sander about $1500. In addition to those you'd be using a belt sander for around $350 and probably an orbital palm sander as well, about $150.

You will NOT be able to do this job adequately without the large surface sanders, hence the recommendation of rental. A better way to go, it sounds, is to hire the work done. You will basically clear half the house and do those floors, once completed and safe to reset furniture, you'll then clear the other half of the house and finish the job.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Sounds like you are as stubborn as I am. I tried with an orbital sander and made a mess and did not get far. Next I went to a pawn shop and found a good belt sander. It worked, but made even bigger mess but got the job done. This should work for the small rooms but you must do a few things. Tape thin lath to your base boards to protect them from the belt sander, remove the lath and finish with tape on baseboards and an orbital sander. Second, tape door shut and put box fan aiming out in the window before you start to keep dust out of the rest of the house. Vacuum between sanding and finish and after each coat of poly. The orbital should have hook and loop. I cut scotch pads to fit and used that for the sanding of the in between coats of poly. Best to check Craig's list and pawn shops for the drum sander. A lot of contractors are going out of business. I found one after I finished my job at a garage sale. If you can't find one, rent one for the big room. Sounds like you have never done this before. If so, start with the lightest sand paper you can find for the drum and belt sanders. It will go slower but any mistakes you make with them will not be as bad. Orbital sander; Ryobi $60, Belt sander; Sears $25, Drum sander; Clark $200. Good luck
    Last edited by Tacoma John; 02-18-2012 at 05:18 PM.

If you aren't opposed to working late in the evening, Home Depot usually runs overnight specials on their rentals where if you rent them after 7 pm and return them by 9 am you only pay like an hour's rental price. And they have an amazing orbital sander with four pads and a vaccuum attached to it. The woman assured me it was basically fool proof and it would reach right next to the trim without scratching it. She was right on both accounts.