+ Reply to Thread

Default corkboard wall lining and smoother

hi i was thinking of adding corkboard wall lining (the kind you find in rolls) for sound dampening and isloation. Being I dont really like the color of cork or the texture and wanted to paint, can I put that cork board as an underlay and use wall smoother paste on top(like th kind you put on plaster walls to smooth it out?)

My walls are currently plaster with some damp marks - but the damp issues have been fixed.

Could anyone see problems with what I am thinking of? Cork should provide moisture resistance naturally but i am not sure if putting smoother on will cause an issues.

Much thanks!

Default Re: corkboard wall lining and smoother

isdngirl,

You state that you want to add rolled cork to aid in "sound dampening and isolation". Frankly, I doubt a thin layer of cork is going to give you either. If you are referring to reverberation (sound bouncing around the walls), again I doubt you will suppress that either, especially if you paint over the somewhat porous cork. What little noise suppression ability the cork might have, would be negated by the hard paint surface.

If you are trying to deaden the live sound of the room, such things as carpeting, d****s, tapestries,soft material wallhangings, etc. would aid in this.

"d****s" equals curtains. I don't know why the website will not allow certain words. Sc**** does not get printed either!

To deaden sound you'd need that egg crate foam for the walls. Ugly but effective.

Personally I prefer duct tape or a stun gun.

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    "d****s" equals curtains. I don't know why the website will not allow certain words. Sc**** does not get printed either!
    The word censor is picking up the ra-pe portion of those words, which is why you always see me hyphenating scr-ape. The word censor came about due to the plethora of spam that TOH is inundated with. W-ow and go-ld are other two other words that one would casually use, but have been blocked due to spam.

For this same reason, new members cannot post images until they've had a certain number of posts. It's a serious PITA and it would be nice if TOH would remove these censors now that we have live moderation to take care of it.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!