+ Reply to Thread

Default Safe to use toilet if water has evaporated?

The toilet bowl water in my unused bathroom has evaporated. Is it safe to go ahead and flush it, or will the seal have dried out and need replacing?

Default Re: Safe to use toilet if water has evaporated?

yes nothing damaged.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

It is important to periodically flush unused toilets to keep water in the bowl, as this is what keeps sewer odor and gases from coming into the house. As for the seal you're worried about, it is unaffected by being wet or dry.

You should also periodically run water in unused sinks and shower/tubs for the same reason as above, to maintain the water plug that seals out the sewer gas and odor.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I agree with the above answers.

Also: For unused or rarely used bathroom floor drain, a device that squirts water into the trap when the trap becomes dry is required by code. It has a name, and I forgot it (cause it's seldom used).

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    I agree with the above answers.

Also: For unused or rarely used bathroom floor drain, a device that squirts water into the trap when the trap becomes dry is required by code. It has a name, and I forgot it (cause it's seldom used).
    It's called a trap primer. Usually connected to the water line that's feeding a near by sink.

John
    Last edited by johnjh2o; 02-11-2012 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    It's called a trap primer. Usually connected to the water line that's feeding a near by sink.

John
    That's right john, thank you for reminding me the name.

Only once in the many years I had an inspector asking me to install it. I ran it from the cold water line, under the slab and into the trap. It has a small control valve that opens when the trap is dry. Then poured concrete.

It's only for a drain that is hardly used by design. Not for regular shower drains.

Trap primers are code in my fair city, and generally a good idea unless the cleaning staff uses that bathroom and sends the mop water down the floor drain.

There is another option for a trap primer that I prefer. It is a inverted tee on a sink drain that is piped to the trap that needs to be primed. Unlike the fitting installed on a water line there is nothing mechanical involved to fail on this setup. When the sink is used some of the drain water is used to prim the trap.

http://www.siouxchief.com/Resource_/...et%2012-10.pdf

john

Its safe go ahead flush it as a friendly reminder though they don't make trap primers for toilets and second don't worry about it they waste water and generally cost more in water and in repairing them unless required I wouldn't bother go down to Walmart or homedepot and buy some RV anti-freeze and pour it in the toilet when it's not going to be used for a long time and it will prevent it from evaporating you can also pour a small amount of mineral oil over the top of the water that works too.

Ben Franklin Plumbing Of Alpine
    304 Meadowlark Dr, Alpine, UT 84004
    (801) 960-1567 ‎
    http://www.benfranklinplumbingalpine.com