+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thumbs down Re: Which way to swing door?

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Yes, unfortunately, if you go to the typical consumer box store, the idiot behind the desk neither knows what you're asking for nor what to order for you. Go to what remains of decent suppliers and it's a crap shoot whether the person knows a right from left as you describe or are using the "new" method which is the opposite of what us old timers have always used (back against hinge side of door, grab hinge, THAT is the swing direction). For this reason, I always take along a sketch of the application to show them EXACTLY what it is that I want.

Last door I ordered was a double door. I needed an outwardly swinging exterior door without a threshold. I swear to God, the guy asked me at least a dozen times if I was sure this is what I wanted. This was AFTER showing him the diagram of the application and a detailed description.

It is so freaking hard to find people who know their posterior orifice from a very large and deep hole in the ground.
    That's right...seeking answers at Home Depot or Lowes is a bad idea.

Home Depot's slogan "You can do it, we can help" has only one purpose: to increase their sales, cause for most folks this slogan is false in part 1 and part 2.
    If it were: "You can't do it, we can't help" they would shut down in a hurry...

Lightbulb Re: Which way to swing door?

i think depending on how much you go in or out into a room is which way the door should be facing like if you go into a room more make it go in so you can just push it rather than pull it

Default Re: Which way to swing door?

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    i think depending on how much you go in or out into a room is which way the door should be facing like if you go into a room more make it go in so you can just push it rather than pull it
    I'm willing to bet that most people go into a room as much as they leave the room.
    The codes are pretty specific about door swings and I believe most were covered here.
    Last edited by ed21; 02-13-2012 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    I'm willing to bet that most people go into a room as much as they leave the room.
    The codes are pretty specific about door swings and I believe most were covered here.
    This is too funny...

Are you sure that the number of people going into a room equals the number of people who eventually come out of it, dead or alive?

Thanks for all the great info people. Unfortunately the simple question got lost on basic info on codes , types of doors, and self closing devices. I should re title this thread fire door basics so anyone seeking info on this subject can find this better.

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    Thanks for all the great info people. Unfortunately the simple question got lost on basic info on codes , types of doors, and self closing devices. I should re title this thread fire door basics so anyone seeking info on this subject can find this better.
    Just goes to show that there are no simple questions, or at least no simple answers.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!