+ Reply to Thread

Default "larger" CFL's in ceiling fixture?

I have a ceiling fixture in my kitchen rated for 3 60W incandescent bulbs. If I'm going to use CFLs I'd like to up the output. Can I safely use 75W equivalents (1200 lumens, 19W)?

Since they use far less power I think it's OK, but I'd hate to start a fire on an assumption.

Default Re: "larger" CFL's in ceiling fixture?

Howdy so glad you asked. YES even better a 75 CFL draws only 10 watts Verses your 60 watt drawing incandescent bulb.Yippee
    !!!each one will save you $$$$ . Now even better there are 3 hues, colors, of bulb 2100 is almost same color as incandescent and 5000 is daylight and some people say a blue color. So replace all your light bulbs and have a much cooler home in summer-incandescent bulbs give off allot of heat. bulbs. and more $$$ in your pocket for years to come.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

It's all very nice with those CFLs, except they won't last as long as advertised. In English that spells "ripoff".

I've noticed that some cfl's say "not for use in enclosed fixtures". Just saying.
    I still find the cfl's that don't light instantly a bit annoying especially in lights that get turned on & off a lot, but most seem to be getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    I've noticed that some cfl's say "not for use in enclosed fixtures". Just saying.
    I still find the cfl's that don't light instantly a bit annoying especially in lights that get turned on & off a lot, but most seem to be getting better.
    +1. You'll find they will only last a couple years in an enclosed fixture. IN a open or semi-open fixture, you can get away using a higher output bulb. Although the lighting can be harsh.

CFL's are not good for sort duration use and frequent on-off applications. They have a finite number of on/off cycles before the ballasts fail. Plus you don't get much payback unless they are used a couple hours a day.
    1925 Two-Story Stucco Beaux Arts Neoclassical

quote: "CFL's are not good for sort duration use and frequent on-off applications. They have a finite number of on/off cycles before the ballasts fail. Plus you don't get much payback unless they are used a couple hours a day."

And yet, they are the law.

To the OP, the 75 watt equivalent CFL will not last very long in your fixture. While not a fire hazard, you will find that the ballasts will burn out quickly due to heat build up and short cycles. If fact, they will last only about a third the life of a 60 watt incandescent light bulb. So much for long life.

I have an eq. 75 watt cf in an enclosed globe pendant in my kitchen that has lasted more years than I can remember. I wish it would burn out so I can replace it with something with a better color rating. (a daylight rating is not what you want). If I wasn't so cheap I would change it out now.

I have a small CFL in a globe fixture in the laundry road and it has lasted for quite some time, but in the kitchen, I used two 60 equiv. CFL's in place of the incandescent bulbs and they burned out every couple of weeks. Went back to incandescent. When I can't get 60 watt bulbs any longer, I'll get a new fixture, it will be cheaper in the long run.