+ Reply to Thread

Default new floor over old

I have an existing oak floor ... old and damaged ... over which I want to install a new prefinished 3/8" teak floor. Wtih the new, and old, and subfloor, will that be too much weight for the floor joists to hold? Are there long-term effects like sagging, etc. I am confident that the house is well-built. It's approximately 50 years old. I hope I have nothing to worry about. Thanks

Default Re: new floor over old

Howdy, weight is a non worry. The floor is designed to carry its own weight- dead load and weight of contents and people- live load.your adding almost nothing in load per sqft. Another issue is step ups or downs where this overlaid floor meets any non overlaid existing flooring. You can use transition fillers to avoid the stub and fall.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

great, thanks ... also, I've left approx 1/4" around the perimeter ... would you recommend caulking that gap? for insulation purposes?? something flexible to allow floor board expansion?

Caulking is not needed. Did you install an underlayment?
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

hi there you should be fine on the weight and the 1/4 gap can be taken care of by running a peice of shue molding at the bottom of the base molding. The real problem is did you put dowm underlayment over the old floor and make sure there are flexs in the old floor.