+ Reply to Thread

Default roof ventilation

I have a house with a hip roof and ridge vent. Had additional blown-in insulation added and have moisture problem. Discovered that my soffit is completely blocked by wood. Understand that best resolution is having continous soffit vents added, but because of expense and the difficulty in pulling back insulation and adding baffles (low attic access and compacting insulation), could adding roof intake vents fairly low work as a substitute? Or even blocking the ridge vent and adding a power ventilation fan and roof intake vents? Roof was put on about 15 years ago and shingles are showing wear. Any other solutions?

Default Re: roof ventilation

Howdy when you say the soffit vents are blocked by wood do you mean there is a 2 by secured between the rafters so the space is solid blocked with out any air space? Or is there plywood nailed to the rafter tails and the vents installed but no cut outs in the plywood? The soffit vents are they 6 by12" approximately or smaller? If the larger you can remove them and cut a "V" notch into the blocking to allow air movement or drill some large holes threw it at then remove enough insulation that would other wise block the air movement need 2" of air space above the insulation to allow flow. Installing low roof vents would not be wise potential leakage a great concern. Also you need to keep in mind that you need more soffit vent then ridge vent to vent properly. Might need to install more soffit vents to reach proper sqft venting. Adding baffels is a good idea an some times its a real pain but to avoid air wash it sure is worth it.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

Check out a product called smartvent by dci.
    It can be installed with a new roof. It is an intake vent installed low on the roof meant to work in conjunction with a ridge vent. It sounds like a good solution in your case, especially if you are re-doing the roof.
    http://www.dciproducts.com/html/smartvent.htm

I think you have a few options. With the age of the roof, it's just about to its end anyway, so you may want to consider reroofing, especially if it's already showing signs of its age. If you go this route, you can strip the existing roof and then pull the deck sheathing up along the soffits to move insulation and install baffles to existing soffit intakes. or install those intakes if none exist now.

Without reroofing, then the installation of surface intake venting would suffice unless you are in a snow zone where such a vent would not work.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!