+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bouncy floors.

Default Bouncy floors.

This one's driving me crazy. My house was custom built in 1987 and finished in early 1988. For several years the floor near my large china cabinet was a bit bouncy. A cursory crawl space examination showed nothing remarkable. In the last six months the bouncy areas have spread through the north side of the house. Since I can no longer crawl under the crawl space, I paid a bribe to the termite company to have their guy video tape the entire flooring system. They found 2x10's on 12 inch centers. No rot, bugs or mold. The floor is 5/8 inch treated plywood, screwed and glued. The contractor did not like doing this but completed it as I stood over his crew and watched. The termite guy's inspection frustrated me by coming up clean so I had another inspection done by a local construction company and it too came up empty. I'm out of ideas. Anybody have any that I can try?
    Appreciate it.

Default Re: Bouncy floors.

No rot, bugs or mold?
    Did you see any cracks in the joists?
    Is the subfloor perfect with no water damage?
    And there is nothing out of the ordinary around the china cabinet?

If two independent inspections came up empty, I doubt that we could guess here what's going on over there.

Let me ask you a question: do you have any water pipes in the walls near the affected area? Do you see any evidence of past drips and leaks?

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    No rot, bugs or mold?
    Did you see any cracks in the joists?
    Is the subfloor perfect with no water damage?
    And there is nothing out of the ordinary around the china cabinet?

If two independent inspections came up empty, I doubt that we could guess here what's going on over there.

Let me ask you a question: do you have any water pipes in the walls near the affected area? Do you see any evidence of past drips and leaks?
    No bugs, mold, cracks or leaks. Had the foundation checked by a professional foundation company and they said all's fine. That answer is suspect to me. The soil here is sandy and I think it might have settled a bit. Bad thing, we ran a level all around and it checks out.
    The house was plumbed to my design with all water lines running down a trough in the center of the crawl space then branching out where necessary. Sanitary pvc lines run along the walls and exit in front. There are no lines near the china cabinet or the other areas I mentioned.
    Right now I'm thinking of having somebody run an I beam from from end to end. Might help.
    Ideas/suggestions still welcome.
    Forgot to mention this: we raplaced the carpets about two years ago and the sub floor itself was in excellent shape. I did run some screws into a few loose areas and got them all before the installers covered them up.
    Last edited by Chief; 02-07-2012 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something.

Howdy, how long do the floor joists span? How much room between the bottom of the joist and the soils of the crawl space? How heavy is the China Cabinet- guess or its dimensions. The floor joist span the entire length or meet in the middle. Any piers in the crawl space?. So if there is room to work in the crawl space one can double the joists gleud and screwed. or add a girder metal or wood. or even plywood gusset the joists. All to stiffen the floor and reduce the bounce. With more information can check the span charts for joists or ask at the local lumber yard for the span lengths for the existing joists...
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Miller View Post
    Howdy, how long do the floor joists span? How much room between the bottom of the joist and the soils of the crawl space? How heavy is the China Cabinet- guess or its dimensions. The floor joist span the entire length or meet in the middle. Any piers in the crawl space?. So if there is room to work in the crawl space one can double the joists gleud and screwed. or add a girder metal or wood. or even plywood gusset the joists. All to stiffen the floor and reduce the bounce. With more information can check the span charts for joists or ask at the local lumber yard for the span lengths for the existing joists...
    Thanks for the reply Timothy. The floor joists span is 24 feet with some going 28 feet for the bay window. They are supported with piers and cross beams 8 feet from each end except for the bay which has 3 piers. The crawlspace is approximately 36 inches from the top of the plastic covered soil to the bottom edge of the floor joists. It is dry under there.
    The China Cabinet is a Danish style which was advertised as weighing 410 pounds empty. I guess there's about a hundred pounds of China in it. It was initially across the room but we moved it when the carpets were replaced.
    Thanks for your interest.

Hi what are the dimensions of the joists? 2by 4, 6,8, The 24" on center allows more bounce then if they were 16" on center. Hate to have to get you back in the crawl space but you need the dimensions. While your getting in there, a great time to have a helper do a bounce test( working across the floor every 4" so you can determine if the entire floor system is bouncy or one particular area.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Miller View Post
    Hi what are the dimensions of the joists? 2by 4, 6,8, The 24" on center allows more bounce then if they were 16" on center. Hate to have to get you back in the crawl space but you need the dimensions. While your getting in there, a great time to have a helper do a bounce test( working across the floor every 4" so you can determine if the entire floor system is bouncy or one particular area.
    The joists are 2x10 on 12 inch centers. At the time everybody thought it was overkill but now I'm not so sure.
    I have somebody coming tomorrow to help me with a bounce test. I weigh 140 so I'll go under. My buddy is 260 so if he doesn't crash through the floor we should get some good pictures. I will video the whole thing.
    From the top it seems that there are three areas that are bouncy but as long as he's here we might as well do the whole floor.
    This is a real puzzle. I'll post the results tomorrow, Friday February 10.
    Thanks for the tip.

What is the span too.

Howdy, so a 2by 10" 8 foot span between piers 12" on center. Is a sturdy floor.

I would suspect some of the piers have settled and thus not supporting the girders to keep the load supported properly. You can check with a level. But better is a sting level . Install a string line about an inch below the girders across the whole building at level then measure up to the joists an see if the measurement is constant clear across the total span. If not level then you can jack up and shim the piers- or have a contractor do so which will stiffen up the floor.