+ Reply to Thread

Default Likelihood of full rupture of leaking steel heating pipe?

I have an old steam system converted to hot water, which use steel pipe. One of the pipe nipples connecting one of the radiators is badly rusted, and appears to be leaking under the floor to the ceiling below. It leaked badly one day, and then has appeared to stop on its own. I'm hoping to wait till summer to replace this section of pipe, because I have two tenants and myself on the same heating system. What are the chances of a full rupture of this rusted pipe, leading to a sudden hi-rate of leakage? I imagine the system pressure must have increased suddenly to cause the leakage and has stayed low since.. the system is supposed to be low pressure of course.

Default Re: Likelihood of full rupture of leaking steel heating pipe?

Have you checked the pressure since the leak stopped? As a rule leaks don't stop. It could be the the auto feed didn't replace the water that leaked out and the reason it stopped is because the pressure is below normal on the boiler. It should be between 12 & 15 lbs. I don't think it would be wise to go through the heating season with out taking care of this ASAP.

John

Any leaking pipe or fitting needs to be replaced asap. The longer you wait the more damage you will have. You can count on that.

With our horrible economy its best you wait until the pipe explodes. When it beaks all the way, many more people will have work repairing the flooring, ceilings, paint and pipes instead of the selfish plumber. If the fates are good a few furniture and rug salesmen will have a nice commission check. Think of waiting to repair it as your own local economic stimulus plan. In your case the trickle down theory work be more than theory.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    With our horrible economy its best you wait until the pipe explodes. When it beaks all the way, many more people will have work repairing the flooring, ceilings, paint and pipes instead of the selfish plumber. If the fates are good a few furniture and rug salesmen will have a nice commission check. Think of waiting to repair it as your own local economic stimulus plan. In your case the trickle down theory work be more than theory.
    Haha houston, now you're talking like a REMODELER...or like a politician.

Hey, maybe if I wait for a full rupture and it destroys my house, maybe I can get the government to bail me out and it won't cost me a cent... and nobody will even notice because it will only add the country's debt.

LZDANIS,

If you want to wait for the government to take care of you...stock up on snacks and sodas: it will be a long, long wait.

But seriously, a leak is a red light that comes on and telling you to pay attention here.

I wouldn't wait to repair it the risk is too high it could blow any day it might be a year or two its the unknown I agree with John there could be something wrong like pressure lower it also could of rusted itself shut but if it leaked before and something else fails like the pressure regulator you will be in a world of trouble instead of maybe a couple hundred your looking at 5-20k dollars in damages.

Ben Franklin Plumbing Of Alpine
    304 Meadowlark Dr, Alpine, UT 84004
    (801) 960-1567 ‎
    http://www.benfranklinplumbingalpine.com