+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Instant Hot Water Heater

We have found a slight issue with the modern Instant Hot Water Heater, single handle shower valves, and a well system. Because the pressure on the system isn't high enough, it is hard to maintain the water temp. What we found out is that the water heater will shut off if you try to bring the temp into a normal range. If we had a two handle system, we could leave the hot on enough to keep the water heater running, and adjust the temp with the cold. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced the same issue; or if the experts have any other suggestions.

Default Re: Instant Hot Water Heater

There are many issues with tank less water heaters. Yours is just one. Many newer water saving clothes and dishwashers don't have a large enough flow of water through all cycles to fire gas tank less heaters. We keep trying to reinvent the mouse trap. Tank type heaters have been in use for many years with far lees problems then there newer cousins the tank less heater. Maybe some day they will solve these problems. But until that time I will continue to recommend and install tank type heaters.

John

Instant Hot Water Heater? No such thing. You must be talking about an "On demand" hot water heater. Big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    Instant Hot Water Heater? No such thing. You must be talking about an "On demand" hot water heater. Big difference.
    That's what I assumed. But you know what they say about that.

John

The OP probably meant on demand water heater, "Instant" is what you find in a coffee maker or sink hot water dispenser.

But when it comes to the home water heater, conventional tank is the way to go. We covered this topic many times, just search past postings.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    The OP probably meant on demand water heater, "Instant" is what you find in a coffee maker or sink hot water dispenser.

But when it comes to the home water heater, conventional tank is the way to go. We covered this topic many times, just search past postings.
    I have to agree dj1 it is getting old.

John

"Old" to us, but "new" to them, cause most don't search past postings...I don't know why

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    "Old" to us, but "new" to them, cause most don't search past postings...I don't know why
    If they did there would be no good reason for us.

John

Yes tank style heaters will dominate the market for the next several years but there will be a day when tank water heater's are banned and everyone will be forced to convert to On demand or tankless water heaters or briefcase water heaters whatever you may be calling them but I think as with any new technology comes problems but from my experience most problems could of been avoided and are due to faulty installs and poor quality brand water heaters I have installed many Noritz, Eternal's and a few Rinaai Tankless type heaters with no problem what so ever the cheaper units have major issues with flow rate, temperature, water temperature variation but if your willing to drop big bucks to have them installed correctly they work flawlessly especially the eternal and without water sandwich I love tankless but the price is what stops most people and soon as new construction starts to plumb them in a lot of the problems that most people face gas supply, venting etc.. will be gone until then long live the tank especially if you continue to change your anode rod the other thing with tankless is making sure you have a water softener without one don't install it! BTW a smart recirc pump would fix the flow rate issue but that depends on brand there could be other fixes as well has this always been an issue?

Orem Benjamin Plumbing
    153 N Garden Park Orem UT, Orem, UT 84057
    (801) 960-1565 ‎ http://www.benfranklinplumbingorem.com

Tankless water heaters aren't such a great deal if your only option is electricity.

While they may be overall more energy efficient that tank-type water heaters, an electric tankless requires a much larger electrical circuit than a tank style. This poses a problem for utilities in that they would have to build more power plants and larger feeder circuits to compensate for the higher instantaneous load when everyone in the city is taking their morning showers at the same time.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.