+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Deck weight limit

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    To get your plans approved by the building department, you'll need them signed off by an engineer (that's true in my city, and I'm sure in all other cities). Why don't you check with your bldg dept first, then get estimates from two engineers.

Please keep us posted.
    In my town it is based on cost If project is over $10K then you need architect to draw up the plans or at least be approved by. I wanted to go to him with some knowledge of what to expect but I guess I will get the info from the architect.

Quote Originally Posted by rwhnze View Post
    In my town it is based on cost If project is over $10K then you need architect to draw up the plans or at least be approved by. I wanted to go to him with some knowledge of what to expect but I guess I will get the info from the architect.
    It's a little strange that your city bases it on cost. After all, people walk on decks, and what if a small deck under 10K is poorly constructed? Where is the "safety" issue? In my city it's called "The Los Angeles Department of Building and Safety" for a reason.

But it is what it is in your city. Your deck will be above the 10K line, so go talk to an engineer (an architect will do too). Consultation is still free.

Seems like the old 'postage stamp sized lot' problem where you need more space than you bought I've built and remodeled plenty of these and hated them all. IMHO a proper home needs a proper yard because people aren't sardines and nature is necessary. A word to the realtors and a caveat to potential homebuyers: Location means NOTHING if you can't have what you want there Having what you want is what is truly valuable in life no matter where it's located. "Postage stamp" lots are just a way for a greedy developer to maximize their profits by having more homes to sell on a given space. Realtors have to preach location with these because that is usually the only thing these sites really have to offer compared to other locations!

I try to be neighborly but if it were my situation my neighbor would be SOL, remembering that he altered his lot to prevent him getting the mower around so the problem is his, not mine. Maybe we could work out a deal where one cuts the back of both while the other cuts the front of both so going between the two wouldn't be needed. Maybe you or he could build a ramp to facilitate this. But it's not your problem that he closed off his front-back access no matter what, however you may have the same problem happening if you do something similar. And what of any space on the other side? Can you extend over there enough to leave lawnmower room with a trailer parking pad? You're in an abnormal situation so you have to get used to thinking outside of the box!

And yes, whatever you build had better be able to support whatever may be driven onto it, even accidentally; even if you put up signs, even if you fence it off because someday some idiot will drive onto it. Count on that. And when the idiot does that and the deck fails, guess who will end up paying to fix that nice neighbors house the truck rolled over into?

Sorry to come across as a curmudgeon, but really if I were you and I didn't want to ditch the bikes I'd just sell out and move to where I had the space I wanted. Where I am now is similar to you, but I know the space I will need in he future and I have just enough to cover that. And really, I am a good neighbor, just a realistic one!

Phil

Thanks to everyone for some great advice. We have decided to ditch the idea and dig up the "leveled" driveway and have a new driveway run downhill alongside the house. Included will be a new deck on the back of the house. Under that deck is where I will park that evil motorcycle trailer.
    This was the original plan, but I didn't want the downhill driveway for a lot of different reason that I wont bore any of you with. None are really important enough to warrent a "parking deck."