+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Insulating non-standard depth walls

We live in Green Bank West Virginia and are remodeling our second floor. The insulation needs to be replaced. The outside walls are board and batten and the studs are 4 1/2 to 5 inches thick. Since the walls are deeper than 2X4 studding and not as deep 2X6 studding which size kraft-paper faced fiberglass insulation should we use - 3 1/2 inch or 6 1/2 inch?

Thanks,
    Norred

Default Re: Insulating non-standard depth walls

Howdy. If you leave an air gap using 3.5" insulation then you will have convection currants in the wall and lowering the insulation value of the wall. I would opt for 5.5" as compacted with less air is better. i would staple the paper to the outside edge of the stud makes it a little harder to drywall but less issues then when stapling to the inside edge of the studs. Great time to add caulking to reduce air infiltration. Caulking the top and bottom plates of the wall as you drywall reduce air infiltration. and adding non expanding foam around the windows also a great improvement . Dap caulk works real good and does not cure rigid so no damage to the window seals.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

Wink Re: Insulating non-standard depth walls

Timothy, thanks for the quick and helpful response! Norred

Default Re: Insulating non-standard depth walls

Howdy You are welcome. In the winter i study construction innovations- new to me- LOL It seems to me that the best one can do is reducing air infiltration an caulking is cheap. The other is to ensure you have enough insulation in the attic and proper attic ventilation. Be sure wear a dust mask an i use long sleeve shirts with collar and wrists taped to keep the ichiess at bay.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.