+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Cedar shingles cause huge fight!

After the demolition of an upstairs 5X8 bathroom it was reveled that the outside wall of the house was so rotted due to a leaky window that you could put your finger through to the outside and push the weathered 40 year old cedar shingles off. Therefore we replaced this section with a new window, new supports, new everything including new shingle outside.

The contractor did a beautiful job replacing the wall shingles and they were natural colored. The rest of the the wall shingles on the back are very weathered and not in great shape but are good enough. I told the contractor I wanted to keep them natural and NOT to stain them grey. I wanted to let them weather naturally.

Unknown to me the contractor cornered my husband the other day and suggested that he stain them because it would take 20 years for them to weather and begin to match.

I woke up yesterday and went outside to see that the contractor was finished staining them and he did not even tell me. I feel thrown under the bus and my husband and I had a huge fight last night about this. Now the back of the house has a 6 X 6 section of stained grey wall shingles against the rest of the house that is weathered dark shingles. I think it looks awful. Am I making too much out of this? What would you do in this situation? How could he do this to our home and think it looks good?

This contractor is a friend of my husband's family and he is always doing opposite of what I want him to do on the outside. He always patches things and never replaces full pieces of wood on windows, exterior panels. He cuts off rot and sticks a small piece in covered with caulking. Should I just ignore how the outside looks and take a chill pill.
    Last edited by Mauiblue; 02-04-2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: added another sentence

Default Re: Cedar shingles cause huge fight!

To me it looks odd to have a multicolor roof.

About the "fight": see a marriage advisor.

If they are wall shingles they will go through many colors before ending up at weathered gray. Really your best bet is to treat them with "bleaching oil" right away to accelerate the weathering process.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Smile Re: Cedar shingles cause huge fight!

From the replies I take it I am stuck with the wall shingles the way they are. Perhaps someday I will take them off and redo the entire siding. I probably should have posted last week to find out how to weather the shingles as the second post had said.

Ow well, Thanks for the input.

What's done is done, but the contractor did have a point, the new shingles will take a long time to get to the point that you old shingles are now, and by then, your old shingles will have gotten worse. The reality is that this will probably always show no matter what.

However, there is something that you can try that is a little unconventional, antifreeze. Ethylene glycol can restore old wood close to its original color by killing all the mold and rot on the surface. You can use used antifreeze if you want, if you know someone that does their own maintenance on their vehicles and has some old stuff around.

You can fortify and help protect the wood from further damage by adding some boric acid to the antifreeze before spraying it on. The best solution would be two gallons of used 50:50 coolant or one gallon of undiluted antifreeze. Heat up on an outdoor grill to near boiling and add 1 lb of Boric Acid and 1.5 lbs of Borax (laundry powder). Mix until dissolved. If using fresh antifreeze, add one gallon of water. Use a pump type garden sprayer to apply to the shingles and soak them good.

In a few days or week, Most of the color will return. You could try washing the shingles at this point with a non chlorine laundry bleach, it might help, but if you do, re treat with the antifreeze and sodium borate solution. Then stain all the shingles. That will be about as close as you can get to all one color.

Another solution is to stain all the shingles with a solid color stain.

The old shingles can be brought back toward their original cedar color by use of a deck cleaner containing oxalic acid. You will have to thoroughly wet down the shingles with the deck cleaner and keep them wet for about 30 minutes. Brushing with a scrub brush will aid in removing the old,gray wood fiber which is on the surface. Then rinse down the wall. A power washer can be used, but you have to only shoot down at the shingles, so as not to force water up under them. Take it easy because you can damage the shingles by getting too aggressive.

Of course, now the shingles still don't match the newly stained shingles, so you will probably want to stain them to match at this point.

Howdy the shingles will oxidize with sun exposure turning the surface gray. if in direct sun light it takes about a year to gray out a shingle far longer in shade. Relax in times of marital stress my moms best advise - Simply love each other more- what a great mom.
    In the future if you apply linseed oil by way of a weed sprayer the shingles will last longer and the roof colors to a dark shade. Do the oiling yearly double the life of the shingle but also counting the costs the yearly application labor and oil adds up to the second roof cost.

Fight over how wonderful your life together is or how much greater you love is then the neighbors- just a suggestion.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

I am not a big fan of linseed oil, as it can be a nutrient for mildew. It invites the cedar turning very blackish.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauiblue View Post
    ....This contractor is a friend of my husband's family and he is always doing opposite of what I want him to do on the outside. He always patches things and never replaces full pieces of wood on windows, exterior panels. He cuts off rot and sticks a small piece in covered with caulking. Should I just ignore how the outside looks and take a chill pill.
    I won't go here. Just won't. But this goes far beyond whatever expertise we have to offer on this Board- just saying.

Phil

Since the contractor got the ok from your husband, you can't blame the contractor. However, the other things you say he does sound to be substandard. Who cares that he is a family friend. Your home is a huge investment. If he isn't performing work that is worthy, you should find a new a new contractor.