+ Reply to Thread

Default Old time board ceiling

Working on 1920's house on bathroom ceiling covered by boards, then cheesecloth tacked up, the paper similar to wall paper for a finish coat. Currenty cracked, torn, and needs replacement.

Any tips from folks who have been thru this process? I have found cheesecloth, and wall lining paper. Would appreciate any tips on process, best paste to use, and the whole process if
    you have the time and inclination.

Default Re: Old time board ceiling

The technique used unbleached muslin, put up wet (with millions of tiny tacks) which when dry shrunk taut. It could then be sized and papered.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Unless you are trying to maintain a museaum piece, why do you want to restore it? I would just cover it up with drywall!

However, should you want to stay with the boards and wallpaper, there is a heavy wallpaper liner paper which could be pasted to the ceiling. Such liners are very stiff, almost like cardboard. Wallpaper can then be hung upon it.

thanks for the replies ordjen & Sombreuil_mongrel
    The house owners want to match the rest of the house, with ceilings already covered this original way. Additional questions:
    1. Any reason I can't attach cheesecloth with narrow staples?
    2. How close should each staple/tack be placed to each other?
    2.5 How long should cheesecloth be allowed to dry, before pro-
    ceeding to apply wall liner.
    3. What is sizing that was mentioned?
    4. Wall lining provided by paint/paper store is on a roll and I
    plan to apply with good grade paste as any wallpaper.

Anything else I need to do, know, watch out for?

pacmanray,

The guys who had first hand knowledge of this process have probably been dead for 40 years! Sombreuil seems to have more knowledge than I about the process. "Size", at least as used during wallpapering on plaster, consisted of rolling a thin layer of watered down wallpaper paste to the wall to give additional "tack" or adhesion to the very slick plaster wall. In the context of the muslin, I am not sure what is meant. Muslin would be very porous, not slick. Perhaps it is to give body to the loose weave fabric.