+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: warped osb

Default warped osb

What could be causing our osb to warp under the siding. Having moisture under siding between siding and house wrap. None of the contractors we talked to can figure it out and we thought maybe moisture was coming up from our crawlspace but the Basement Doctors came out and said that the crawlspace was not the problem. We have no roof leaks and cannot figure this out. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Default Re: warped osb

are the walls bowing out or something. how do you know the osb is warping

if so, chances are the sheets didnt get the mandatory 1/4" horizontal gap when sheathing the walls. this is done so to give the sheets room to expand
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Yeah you can see the osb bowing out and even the siding I believe will have to be replaced. We peeled the siding back and you can visually see the bowed and warped portions of the osb.

The osb wasn't fastened properly to the studs, you need to glue it and screw it if you want it to stay put for the long term, the contractors I have worked for have always used costruction adhesive and screwed, or used ring shank nails when installing the outside sheathing or sub-floors, also the proper gap at least an 1/8" minimum, we used a lot of tounge and grove osb to eliminate the issues you are having. Good Luck!

We looked at it just this evening again and it is bowed and warped between the studs. In all warped spots this is the case and it is both gable end walls and now we are starting to notice it on the front and back walls as well????? We are at a loss and so discouraged.

minimum gapping of wall osb is 1/4" i know a couple inspectors that want 1" , glue and screws is only called for when its a shear wall.. nailing 6" o.c will do.

sounds like the sheets were never nailed off though only tacked, how old is the house and is it a tract home. this is typical of framing crews who work for builders that put up large numbers of homes in new subdivisions.. they pay the subtrades very poorly and by the job so the subs work as fast as possible to cut corners so they might actually make $5 in profit
    fire up the saw and make some dust

The house was built in summer of 2010 we moved in October and started noticeing it by December 2010. But in the summer it goes back to normal and you can't really notice it. Soon as it starts to get cold they warp out again that's why we think it is some kind of moisture problem. Another question we have is why our block on crawlspace is always wet? We've had nothing but problems since we moved in. And one problem just to make you laugh is one bedroom smells like ladybugs and we can't even use it we have to keep the door shut because the odor is so strong but no lady bugs are visible inside the house!? So much for my dreams of a beautiful new home that we saved ten years to build!

Question Re: warped osb

Oh and no it is not a track home and we were here the whole time framing was going on and we know of most of the contractors work and we have never seen anything that he has ever done look bad and we are sure no corners were cut that another reason we are so confused about the whole thing

jkirk is right definitly sounds like an insatllation issue, most of the homes we build here in the northeast are built during the warm months, so they might allow the 1/8" when it is like 80-90 degrees outside, and yes the spacing has to be right, i always thougtt we used to many screws and tons of nails to fasten the osb, but in your case this is what happens when they don't, we nailed every 6" and screwed every 8" depending on which method was used, and the exterier walls we always glued the osb, but most of the houses we built from the ground up were high end homes,i have worked finish crew in a few modular homes and they used hot glue and tons of staples to fasten osb, Good Luck!

Melissa,

You might have a claim against the builder, but you may be out of time. Talk to a lawyer about that asap.

If the legal avenue won't solve it, you will have to remove the sidings and house wrap to be able to see exactly how the OSB was attached to the framing. In my city every house plan has a nailing schedule attached, and it must be followed before the inspector signs off. He looks at the distance between nails, the gap between the sheets, etc, before approving. Staples are not approved. Many times track home have gross code violations for various reasons, and the number 1 reason is that the builder and inspector weren't doing their job (happy hour anyone?).

What can you do then? If you find yourself up the creek to deal with it alone, rip the OSB, inspect the framing, install new plywood, wrap and siding. But this time, have it done to code.

No other solution will give you the peace of mind you want.

Besides the OSB and the ladybug odor, do you have any other problems? Maybe you should fix the two problems and sell the house. That's what I'd do.