+ Reply to Thread

Default Faucet Leaks when Toilet Flushed

The hot water on my kitchen faucet will leak when the upstairs toilet has been flushed. Any ideas??

Default Re: Faucet Leaks when Toilet Flushed

Questions:
    - Does it happen EVERYTIME you flush the upstair toilet?
    - Does it leak when you don't flush?

I don't see any connection between the two that can cause this to happen.

John

I guess you can be glad the toilet doesn't flush every time you open the hot water faucet.

There is a small drip that will occasionally occur...once again it is the hot water side that is leaking.

It does not leak every time the toilet is flushed, but when this problem does happen, it isn't just a few drips, it becomes a steady stream.

Looks like I'm probably going to end up replacing the faucet huh?

Quote Originally Posted by dps2114 View Post
    There is a small drip that will occasionally occur...once again it is the hot water side that is leaking.

It does not leak every time the toilet is flushed, but when this problem does happen, it isn't just a few drips, it becomes a steady stream.

Looks like I'm probably going to end up replacing the faucet huh?
    You can get by with repairing/replacing the hot water stem/cartridge/washer - whichever you have.

You see, the hot water comes from the water heater. The cold water to the toilet comes from the main. Two separate water supplies. Therefore, the flushing of the toilet and the dripping faucet have nothing to do with each other.

It's probable that the pressure in the line somehow aids in the seal of the valve cartridge in the kitchen faucet, and when you flush the toilet the pressure in the line drops enough to cause it to leak.

A drop in pressure on the cold side can result in a drop in pressure in the hot side, especially if there is a restriction upstream of where the cold supply splits to feed the water heater.

This does not indicate a problem with the toilet. You may also want to check to make sure the main valve supplying the house is all the way open.

Repair or replacement of the kitchen faucet will be necessary, regardless of any other problems in the plumbing. It just shouldn't ever leak like that.

The manufacturer of your faucet may offer free replacement parts. Look them up on-line for warranty and contact information.
    Last edited by Fencepost; 02-15-2012 at 01:11 AM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Agree with fencepost one thing I would check is do you have an expansion tank on the water heater? Because if not the excessive pressure could cause some build up or water pressure build up and I have seen this before were the expansion from the water heater destroys the hot side seals then the pressure difference when toilet flushed could possibly cause variable pressure and possibly could cause this.

Ben Franklin Plumbing Of Alpine
    304 Meadowlark Drive, Alpine, UT 84004
    (801) 960-1567 ‎
    http://www.benfranklinplumbingalpine.com