+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hay or straw

Default Hay or straw

Recently one of the guys referred to using bails of "hay" to prevent runoff from a construction sight. That's not hay, it's straw. There's a big difference.

Default Re: Hay or straw

Yes there is a difference in 'bales' of hay or straw, but for the purpose of preventing runoff they can both be used. In some parts of the country straw is so expensive that cheaper hay is financially smarter. Neither bale would I use after their runoff job except maybe for compost if no toxic products were used on site. Usually hay will break down faster then straw for compost. I live in FL and getting straw for bedding can be very difficult during parts of the year. During our cold spells some people will add a little coastal hay to shavings for bedding to add warmth. While building our house we used coastal bales since it is so inexpensive and available. Maybe they did use hay.

Quote Originally Posted by Krettig View Post
    Recently one of the guys referred to using bails of "hay" to prevent runoff from a construction sight. That's not hay, it's straw. There's a big difference.
    And this matters how? The point is that the bale reduces the waters flow rate and holds back soil, thus preventing erosion. Most commonly these bales are straw, however, any baled grass type will suffice, just depends on what is locally available and economical.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    And this matters how? The point is that the bale reduces the waters flow rate and holds back soil, thus preventing erosion. Most commonly these bales are straw, however, any baled grass type will suffice, just depends on what is locally available and economical.
    Exactly, I'm thinking in the same direction: There are various ways to stop CONSTRUCTION SITE runoffs.

Hay, straw, plastic sheets or sandbags - they're all good as long as they're doing the job.

What you don't want to do is to use hay to cover a newly grass seeded lawn. That is unless you want pasture grasses in your lawn.