+ Reply to Thread

Default Old pine floor flaking and splintering

My house is from 1873 and has original soft pine flooring throughout. We are the 5th owner, only here for 2 years, and have no idea how the floor has been finished in the past.

What we do know is that the finish is wearing away in high traffic areas. At best the top layer is flaking off, at worst it is giving the kids splinters and breaking off in chunks. We do not have it in the budget this year to do the floors completely, so what I am looking for is a stop-gap solution to keep them from getting worse until we can get the floors refinished or replaced next year.

Aside from putting down randomly scattered carpet squares to protect the floor, do I have any options for spot sealing/protecting?

Thanks.

Default Re: Old pine floor flaking and splintering

Kids getting splinters - bad idea.

If you were going to replace your floor next year, well, next year is now. Do your floor now, avoid unpleasant splinters, say goodbuy to your old floor from president Grant era...

Don't spend your money on worthless repairs (bandaid) and do the job right. There are inexpensive options on the market, just go to flooring places and learn about what's available and good for you.

You can try lightly sanding the floors and applying a couple of coats of good floor rated poly. This will help seal the wood so you don't get splinters. It is not a long lasting solution but might get you by for a while.

A better solution would be to rent a floor sander and refinish the floors.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thank you for the replies. I understand anything I do now will only be temporary and will not last, but I just do not have the ability to do all of the floors completely right now (and these bad spots are in different rooms/areas).

Frankly, given the state of the floors, and how deep some of the gouges and wear spots are--I am not sure the floors can even be sanded smooth at this point; they are sub-floor and floor all in one and I know they have been redone at least once before (probably more). So I am probably looking at a new floor installation, not a restoration.