+ Reply to Thread

Question Wood / Engineered floors on top of existing engineered floor?

Hey All,

We bought our house a couple years ago and are looking to redo the floors on the ground floor. The existing flooring is engineered wood glued to the concrete slab foundation. The question is, can we lay engineered floors or hardwood floors on top of that? What would we use, glue, nails??

The other question is if we CAN lay new floors on top of the old one (without ripping it all out), can we use an electric floor heating system in what is becoming a club sandwich of a floor?

Thank you!

Default Re: Wood / Engineered floors on top of existing engineered floor?

take up the old floor, and install the new floor but let it float if its going over concrete
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Any recommendations on how to do that?

I've seen some nightmare stories on TV and the internet about pulling up flooring that's glued to concrete.

The other concern is the floor just won't be smooth enough afterwards to lay a floating floor as you've suggested.

Thanks.

just use wrecking bars. and flat bars to get the rest of the wood thats glued to the floor.

i honestly dont know why the floor was glued down in the first place unless the manufacturer specifically calls for it to be glued down.. most of the engineered floors ive installed say you can glue it down but only require it to be glued int the t & g joints
    fire up the saw and make some dust

If the glued-down floor is firm and not buckled, then I'd leave it and float the new floor on top. Can't answer about the heating mats thought.
    It will be a major hassle to get up the existing wood; it's opening a can of worms.
    If the added thickness is the governing issue, then you have no choice.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Thanks for all your comments.

I'm not sure either why the floors were glued down, but the consensus seems to be that we should leave them as is and put the new floors on top. I asked a couple of handymen and they seemed mortified at the idea of having to pull up the floors. My thoughts as well...!

Thanks again.