+ Reply to Thread

Default Water drip that is driving me crazy!

Could someone try to help me figure out how I can hear a drip of water (in the basement) but I cannot see any water anywhere? I can hear the drip near my water heater and furnace, which is below my bathroom, but I don't see any evidence of a leak anywhere. This is driving me crazy and I can't sleep at night thinking that it is in the wall or going to ruin the floor. Thank for your help.

Default Re: Water drip that is driving me crazy!

"Where there's smoke, there's fire", so if you HAVE a drip, you will have wetness.

If there is no visible wetness and you're sure there is a drip, maybe the wetness in invisible or hidden. A small drip can go undetected for a long time.

If this happened to me, I'd pin point the drip location following the sound, cut the drywall to see inside the wall, to determine the location.

Wink Re: Water drip that is driving me crazy!

I would look under the water heater and make sure its not leaking, check around the burner/flue area if its gas heater sometimes water condensate will run down the flue and drip on the burner, also if you have a new high efficiency furnace they make water noises all the time,mine sounds like its peeing all the time when its running, check to see if it is the condensate draining into the pump or a floor drain, that may be the noise you hear, and like dj1 says if you can hear it behind the drywall then you have to cut it out and investigate before you get any mold,mildew. Good Luck!

Are there any drain lines in the area your hearing the dripping? If so it could be as simple as a bad flapper in a toilet and what your hearing is the water dripping in the drain lines. Put some food coloring in your toilet tanks let it sit for a 1/2 hour to see if the coloring shows up in the bowl. If it does then you have a bad flapper.

John

All of the above ideas are good & should be tried; I would add that you can use a 6' length of clothes washer hose, or 6' length of garden hose----hold one end to your ear & move the other end to various locations where you think the noise is the loudest---if you spend 15-20 minutes doing this, eventually you will have a good chance of locating where the noise is slightly louder & hopefully eventually pinpoint the source of the noise.

The quieter the test area is the better; remove everyone else from the test area & temporarily turn off any furnace/boiler equipment; a 3' length of hose works as well, but has less reach than the longer piece of hose; 2" to 3" diameter flex hose (vacuum cleaner hose, etc.) also works well----in other words, look around the house & your workshop for what you need, instead of going out & buying something.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 02-02-2012 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    All of the above ideas are good & should be tried; I would add that you can use a 6' length of clothes washer hose, or 6' length of garden hose----hold one end to your ear & move the other end to various locations where you think the noise is the loudest---if you spend 15-20 minutes doing this, eventually you will have a good chance of locating where the noise is slightly louder & hopefully eventually pinpoint the source of the noise.

The quieter the test area is the better; remove everyone else from the test area & temporarily turn off any furnace/boiler equipment; a 3' length of hose works as well, but has less reach than the longer piece of hose; 2" to 3" diameter flex hose (vacuum cleaner hose, etc.) also works well----in other words, look around the house & your workshop for what you need, instead of going out & buying something.
    I just got a mental picture of someone walking around a basement with a 6' hose sticking out of there ear. Sorry I couldn't resist that one.

John

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I think I will try the dye in the toilet tank first, sounds the easiest. If I have to cut the drywall, then that's what I have to do. I'm glad you all gave me such good feedback, it's a big help. Thanks again!

Turn the water off to the house for a couple hours and see if the dripping persists. Sometimes when drains are used especially hot water sometimes they can cause expanding I have seen mystery leaks be simply expanding pipes popping cause its pushes against a joist or 2x4.

Ben Franklin Plumbing Of Alpine
    304 Meadowlark Drive, Alpine, UT 84004
    (801) 960-1567 ‎
    http://www.benfranklinplumbingalpine.com