+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy flame in hot water boiler goes out

flame on gas hot water boiler goes out every time a hard wind blows. New cap made and put on and I was told this would solve the problem. It hasn't. I have to get it lit every time I hear the wind blow. By the wind, I mean a hard wind and you can hear it, mostly in the winter. No one, and I mean no one has been able to fix this problem. There is a hill with trees that the wind goes over and turns downward onto my mobile home. I want results that will work. I live in a newer mobile home. Please give me truthful results that will fix this problem. "Ask This Old House", please come to my home. If this helps, I am Medicare age and can't keep putting up with this problem. HELP!
    Joan3
    Last edited by Joan3; 01-28-2012 at 04:02 PM. Reason: adding a sentence

Default Re: flame in hot water boiler goes out

Have you contacted the boiler manufacturer? is your unit under warranty?

You may have excess draft in your burner. While air is needed for your pilot to stay on, more than what is required will cause the flame to go out. Have it checked out.

Try adding a longer vent pipe, its a cheap shot in the dark. The air flow over the roof can be altered.

What make model heater do you have some allow you to adjust the size of the pilot light?

john

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    Try adding a longer vent pipe, its a cheap shot in the dark. The air flow over the roof can be altered.
    this already has been done to my neighbor's...it doesn't help...also, flame was put a little higher, doesn't help......anymore ideas? thanks

[QUOTE=dj1;258561]Have you contacted the boiler manufacturer? is your unit under warranty?

You may have excess draft in your burner. While air is needed for your pilot to stay on, more than what is required will cause the flame to go out. Have it checked out.[/QUO
    although air is needed for the pilot to stay on, but how do you "measure" how much??? thanks...this may be the cause yes, i agree, but how do you 'measure' this if this is the case?...i really think it's coming from the floor but how do you determine this?? thanks, appreciate your help.... and not under warranty...

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    What make model heater do you have some allow you to adjust the size of the pilot light?

john
    the pilot light was adjusted..no luck....pipe on top had been extended at my neighbors....her's still goes out....any more ideas? thanks....

Joan a picture of your heater may help. There should be a draft hood on the top of heater that prevents the wind from blowing the pilot out. This is what they look like.

http://www.hotwater.com/lit/bulletin/187010-000.pdf

John

I was having this same problem with new water heater, had to run a 3" flex liner to top of chimney, and cap off 12" old opening with sheetmetal cap, and put a 90 degree elbow on it opposite the wind flow to keep pilot from getting sucked out during high winds,this has worked so far,a plumber friend of mine had suggested getting a cap with a sheild around it made for windy areas, but thought i would try the elbow first, but during the 50-60 mph winds comming off my hill it still goes out occasionaly,your only other option like mine is to swith to a direct vent water heater which vents through 2" pvc and has en electronic ignition and not a standing pilot,you can try the elbow/sheilded cap and a longer draft hood to see if it helps, good thing I had them nail the vinyl siding every 8" I would hate to keep fixing that every month! Good Luck!
    Last edited by jled96; 02-03-2012 at 09:44 AM.