+ Reply to Thread

Default Modular Addition Manufacturers in Florida

I am located in Hollywood, Florida and I'm interested in researching the possibility of adding a 2nd story modular addition to my CBS home. I can't seem to locate any modular home/additiona manufacturers in Florida... Help.

Default Re: Modular Addition Manufacturers in Florida

this is the first ive ever heard of this sort of thing and i work for a high end renovation company who specializes in additions..

when building additions, you cant just prefab walls off site. most pro's have to stick frame most of the walls to accomodate for an existing which is out of square, plumb and level. every peice has to be custom cut
    fire up the saw and make some dust

I previously lived in Arlington, VA where it is common practice. After the roof rafters are cut off, a new deck (plumb and square) is built to receive the modular units (I will need 2 in my case as the 2nd story footprint is 28' x 24'.

This method provides significant savings over the antiquated stick-built methods...

i dont doubt its cheaper but is it accurate and level

ive done over 100 large additions and it takes time to lay everything out so thats its structurally sound, everything is level and when the job is done you cant see where the new joined the old. there are plenty of guys locally doing additions but they dont do it well, as soon as you look at the house its clear as day where the addition ties in
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Most single story homes in Florida don't have footings that will support a 2nd story. I have seen it done but the work that needs to be done to beef up the existing footings makes it very impractical.

John