+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default After removing the wallpaper

To redo my bathroom, I wanted to paint the walls a lighter color. So I removed all the "textured" tan and brown, "marble-look" wallpaper. It's all just drywall underneath. No tape and bedding on the seams, no texture on the walls. Any suggestions on where to look for tips on how to do the tape and bedding and texturing myself?

Default Re: After removing the wallpaper

Now you know why they pasted wallpaper...

You can certainly learn how to tape and finish drywall, but your first job won't be perfect. If you can live with a not so perfect finish, it's OK. But if such a job bothers you, then get a professional finisher. For a small bathroom the difference in price won't add up to a lot.

Oh I forgot to mention: go to youtube and you'll find various demos.

Babeaut,

Do you mean that there was literally no paint or sealer on the wall? If so, I am surprised that you got the paper off at all! It is possible that the "paperhanger" did put some clear sealer on the walls first. In any event, you either have to get the water soluble paste off first, or sand the life out of the walls to remove as much of the paste as possible and then seal the walls with an oil based primer. The oil primer would actually give you a good base onto which to start taping.