+ Reply to Thread

Default Questions about insulating basement walls

We just bought a new house and the previous owners painted the basement walls. I want to put of polystyrene and gypsum but I wanted to make sure that the paint isnt going to cause water issues from sealing the concrete.

Also what are the disadvantages to using expanded over extruded polystyrene?

Default Re: Questions about insulating basement walls

Quote Originally Posted by twiggy2cents View Post
    We just bought a new house and the previous owners painted the basement walls. I want to put of polystyrene and gypsum but I wanted to make sure that the paint isnt going to cause water issues from sealing the concrete.
    Not sure what you issues you are referring to -- water or condensation?

Also what are the disadvantages to using expanded over extruded polystyrene?
    Aside from price --- read this http://www.dyplastproducts.com/newsl...ore_xpseps.htm
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Default Re: Questions about insulating basement walls

Hmm, I found this by the same people w w w. dyplastproducts.REPLACEWITHDOTCOM/Customer_Bulletins/CUSTOMER_BULLETIN_0710.pdf

I am guessing this one is more up to date. It seems that the biggest thing is that it is a little more permeable, which in my case will be okay because the basement stays dry and I will keep humidity under control inside the basement.