+ Reply to Thread

Default Moulding machine

I had seen a video done with Tom Silva and Norm Abram where they were trimming a window. Tom Silva had a machine onsite that was cutting the profile of his trim. What video was that and what machine was he using?PLEASE!

Default Re: Moulding machine

hes either using a shaper. or hes using a standard table saw equipped with shaping heads.
    fire up the saw and make some dust

If it's the one I saw it was a molding maker. Looked and worked like a thickness planer, only it had shaper knives. Those are relatively common machines, do a google for molding machine, molding maker, etc and you should be presented with a number of options. Or, you can do what I did and buy a shaper, which is a router table on steroids.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I think what you are looking for is a Molder/Planer, you can do a search for them. But unless you are trying to replicate a lot of trim it is probably not worth buying one. Any good mill-work shop can make the trim or match the profile you are trying to do.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by sabo4545 View Post
    But unless you are trying to replicate a lot of trim it is probably not worth buying one. Any good mill-work shop can make the trim or match the profile you are trying to do.

Mike
    Yes and no. I agree that unless you've got a lot of trim to make, it's cheaper and easier to buy or have it made. The thing is, making custom, one off trim for specific projects is fun. Also, store bought trim is limited in the species that you can get it in, for instance when I built a mahogany mantle a few years ago, I had to make up all my own trim for it because there wasn't anything available.

I would also recommend against purchasing a molding/planer with the plans of swapping between the two as you need them. It is a lot of work to change these machines from one configuration to another. I thought it was great that my drillpress came with a mortising attachment, unfortunately, I lose the drill press with the mortiser attached, and that makes for additional work and difficulties.

The same will happen with a molding/planer, so it is my suggestion to purchase the machine and leave it as a molder and have a dedicated thickness planer as well.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Here are two I've seen
    The first is a multifunction tool http://woodmastertools.com/
    the second is a professional grade molding machine and priced accordingly http://www.williamsnhussey.com/

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Yes and no. I agree that unless you've got a lot of trim to make, it's cheaper and easier to buy or have it made. The thing is, making custom, one off trim for specific projects is fun. Also, store bought trim is limited in the species that you can get it in, for instance when I built a mahogany mantle a few years ago, I had to make up all my own trim for it because there wasn't anything available.
    Yes I agree that you won't find different species at the big box store or maybe the local lumber yard but most people can find a mill-work shop near where they live that can make trim in just about any species you would find in a home. The one near me charges $150 set up fee and then whatever the price per linear foot is for that particular profile and species. A lot cheaper than buying a moulding machine but you are right not as fun.
    Last edited by sabo4545; 01-31-2012 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Spelling

the one of the local specialty hardwood shops charges roughly the same here. once their done milling it for a few extra dollars they will let you have the shaping knive.. or they just put it on the rack so they have that profile in their collection
    fire up the saw and make some dust