+ Reply to Thread

Default How many air returns or can I remove one during a kitchen remodel

I have a 1960's rancher that is about 2200 square feet. A heat pump/central air system looks like it was added after the house was built. When we boutght the house a year ago we were told the heat pump/AC was replaced and if I am reading the panel right it looks like it was made in 2009.

We want to remodel the kitchen but one of the returns looks like it will be in the way. The return and supply are all run through the floor. Currently there is a 21x15 return in the living room and kitchen with 12x6 returns in all three bedrooms and the hall way.

I have never had a house with returns in all of the rooms. Would it be possible for me to close off the return in the kitchen and floor over it?

Are there any simple calculations that can help me figure this out? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cool Re: How many air returns or can I remove one during a kitchen remodel

You can not just remove the return or you will have less airflow back to your heat pump/ac, if you have access to below the return it will have to be relocated to a better location.You may be able to relocate it to a kickspace under the cabinet with a narrow grill, or to a wall location. You need proper airflow to keep your equipment from burning out and keep you comfortable, talk to an hvac pro, if there is access it shouldn't be too costly! Good Luck!

Default Re: How many air returns or can I remove one during a kitchen remodel

Possibly. It depends on the size of the system. How many tons is it? It also depends n how the return branches are run.

Best solution, is to add another return in a central location roughly the same size as the one your removing.

Even better, is to make sure you even have enough total return now for the size of your system. Odds are good that your system may be oversized, and the existing ductwork may be undersized. Depending on where your located, a home your size with typical insulation for that period, probably doesn't need more than 3 tons of AC. More if you're further south. It's very common for the equipment to get bumped up n size over the years since many people think bigger is better. IN HVAC it's almost never better.
    1925 Two-Story Stucco Beaux Arts Neoclassical

What are your actual supply and return duct sizes and how many of each, then the size in tonnage of your A/C-Heat Pump, that will be a place to start

You can keyword or Google Load Calc, theres plenty of them for free over the internet, just follow the directions
    Last edited by Sten; 01-30-2012 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotinaj View Post
    I have a 1960's rancher that is about 2200 square feet. A heat pump/central air system looks like it was added after the house was built. When we boutght the house a year ago we were told the heat pump/AC was replaced and if I am reading the panel right it looks like it was made in 2009.

We want to remodel the kitchen but one of the returns looks like it will be in the way. The return and supply are all run through the floor. Currently there is a 21x15 return in the living room and kitchen with 12x6 returns in all three bedrooms and the hall way.

I have never had a house with returns in all of the rooms. Would it be possible for me to close off the return in the kitchen and floor over it?

Are there any simple calculations that can help me figure this out? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    I find it unusal there is a *return* in the kitchen --- supply yes, but a return ?!? Normally up here the two rooms that don't get returns are bathrooms and kitchens.
    Be it as it may be -- it isn't a good idea just to remove and block off any ducting -- especially a return. This upsets the balance of air flow which would affect the heating / cooling of other areas. Returns are especially important since return air supplies the amount of air to be circulated. This could be really noticable with the A/C evap coil freezing up since the return air volume has decreased.

It would be best to relocate it out of the way --- perhaps in a near by wall.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush